PhD/PsyD Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydstudent2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone happen to come across a study that administered the PDQ4 online? I’m wondering because their website said they are going to be offering online administration in the future, but only mentions this in reference to clinic use. I reached out to them but was hoping I could get a quicker answer on here in the meantime and also really hoping I don’t have to find a different instrument to use. I’ve seen the PDQ4 used in a lot of personality research so I assumed it had been administered online before. If they don’t give me permission to use it online then I have to find something else. I need something that measures personality pathology (not just traits but the actual personality disorders) and is not expensive (hence I can’t use the MMPI or the MCMI since I am funding this myself).

Members don't see this ad.

I am not familiar with that measure so I don't know the logistics of this, but if it is not available online then I wonder if it would be possible for you to get permission to purchase however many copies you'd use, but then spend your own time to put the questions into Qualtrics or something similar where only those who have the link can access it, and then destroy the number of paper copies (so company still getting compensated for each use of the measure). Would be something to discuss with your adviser. Someone in my class did this for their research with a different measure.

Reactions: 1 user
Just contact the author to ask - if its not one of the major testing companies they are usually fairly flexible. Even the testing companies are sometimes OK with it as long as you are buying the number of copies you expect to use. To be honest, I don't always even ask when doing it at this point. It frankly would be stupid of them not to given I literally do not know an investigator who still uses pencil and paper anymore aside from unusual populations or situations where its necessary/logical from a study logistics or compliance perspective.

Really nuanced, but I do sometimes wonder if people's response patterns change across administration formats.

Reactions: 1 user
Just contact the author to ask - if its not one of the major testing companies they are usually fairly flexible. Even the testing companies are sometimes OK with it as long as you are buying the number of copies you expect to use. To be honest, I don't always even ask when doing it at this point. It frankly would be stupid of them not to given I literally do not know an investigator who still uses pencil and paper anymore aside from unusual populations or situations where its necessary/logical from a study logistics or compliance perspective.

Really nuanced, but I do sometimes wonder if people's response patterns change across administration formats.

The website gave me permission to but the test booklet says to contact the individual who created the test. weird that the website didn’t tell me to do that... I’m going to wait a few weeks to see if I hear back from him.