• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
D

deleted600623

If I’m trying to go into cardiology for fellowship, how necessary is it to get at least a project under my belt prior to residency? I know its a competitive subspecialty so research production plays a big part in that but I don’t know what that really translates to practically. I’m currently a 2nd year working on one project (diff IM subspecialty related) that has led to a poster presentation and will likely lead to publication so I will have some research prior to residency. Thanks!

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Your CV is cumulative and includes all research activity since undergrad. Never too soon to start padding it. ;)

Also, most competitive internal medicine residencies value productive researchers (in addition to the other usual checkboxes).

Reactions: 1 users
A

AnatomyGrey12

You’ll need research to get that nice IM residency that will lead to a cards fellowship.

About the Ads
D

deleted600623

Your CV is cumulative and includes all research activity since undergrad. Never too soon to start padding it. ;)

Also, most competitive internal medicine residencies value productive researchers (in addition to the other usual checkboxes).
Good point. Does the type/quality of productivity matter? I may be wrong but I would assume that much of the production that medical students contribute to is not high quality unless they're focused on 1 big, meaningful project?

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. :) If you're serious about doing research you should do two thing simultaneously:
- Quality: Commit to a PI/lab for the long haul. Find a group that does genuinely interesting stuff. Also, you should seek to add tools to your research toolbox (stats, programming, medical illustration, expertise in a particular disease/procedure/technology, etc).
- Quantity: Simultaneously, say yes to everything. Let your PI and everyone you meet know that you're willing and able to help with anything. Book chapters, case reports, lit reviews, retrospective case series, etc.

In general, the hierarchy of research is:
- Basic/translational/RCT > retrospective clinical study > case report/series, systematic review / meta-analysis > book chapter.
- Prestigious journal > mid-tier journal > throw away journal
- First author > second author > middle author
- Journal article > oral presentation at national conference > poster at national conference > anything at intramural conference

Reactions: 3 users

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Quantity: Simultaneously, say yes to everything. Let your PI and everyone you meet know that you're willing and able to help with anything.
I would be careful to not overload yourself with multiple projects. Just remember boards and passing classes are priorities.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.