Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is conducting research in your chosen field for a residency?

I have an opportunity to help out a professor in his research, but I'm not certain I want to go into his particular field (neurology). I am very interested in what we'd be working on, but I have my eyes set on a different field that is somewhat adjacent to his (something surgical). I've tried contacting another researcher who I really want to work with but he's been hard to reach.

I am going to work with the guy who wants to take me on, but in terms of residency selection how preferrable is it that I conduct research in the field I'm really interested in?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I am in an MD/PhD program and am going into ENT, and I can tell you, get ANY research you can. What it is specifically doesn't matter nearly as much as the experience itself. If you can work on a project, even a small one, and be able to articulate a hypothesis, what you did, and why it is important, it will be a tremendous asset to you, especially in competitive specialties. Many times the academic surgeons are too busy to really talk to you. Also, if you can get basic science research, even better. So to answer your question, it is about the quality of your research, not the field. If you can get QUALITY research in the specific field, that's great. But if not, don't worry, it WILL NOT hurt you to have research in an unrelated field.
-G

No, I am still a lowly student. But it pays to find these sorts of things out ahead of time, and during a 7-8 year MD/PhD program, you have LOTS of time to plan stuff.

Anyway I just recently began to seriously consider ENT, and although my stats are by no means stellar, my board scores/grades are a little below average for ENT. But in talking to the PD here, and several residents, and reading the ENT forums, I learned that having the research experience (particularly the fact that I have a NIH grant) would help immensely.

IMO, research helps open all doors. For some specialties it is a necessity, for others a huge bonus on you app. You will not regret doing it...especially when 10 other applicants with similar #'s as you apply for the same residency, and they all have research experience.
-G

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in an MD/PhD program and am going into ENT, and I can tell you, get ANY research you can. What it is specifically doesn't matter nearly as much as the experience itself. If you can work on a project, even a small one, and be able to articulate a hypothesis, what you did, and why it is important, it will be a tremendous asset to you, especially in competitive specialties. Many times the academic surgeons are too busy to really talk to you. Also, if you can get basic science research, even better. So to answer your question, it is about the quality of your research, not the field. If you can get QUALITY research in the specific field, that's great. But if not, don't worry, it WILL NOT hurt you to have research in an unrelated field.
-G

Is there a reason to do basic science research over clinical research, other than publishing in basic science seems to be favored more? I'm interested in optho/orthoped research and would like to do basic science research relating to those two fields, but I also sorta wanna get published.

I think timing is the issue here. In general, it takes much longer to publish basic science. There are a variety of reasons for this. That being said, one summer in a basic science lab might be enough for you to get your name on a paper, and if you are a superstar and can hit the ground running you may make first author. However, I don't know any medical students who have done 4 straight years of med school and published a first author basic science paper during that time.

Clinical research is, in the opinions of most basic scientists of course, easier. Data can be collected from patients quickly, analyzed, and published, without the grind and pitfalls of hypothesis driven basic science. Doing clinical research can be great for you if you work with someone in the field you are interested in, because your enthusiasm will certainly be reflected in your letter of recommendation. I would say the great majority of publications from medical students (for work done during med school) is clinical research.

So my advice...if you can, get some basic science research. However, if you know what you want to do, and there is someone at your institution that will take you on for a summer of clinical research in that area, your time may be better spent there. Ask for advice from the ortho faculty doing research..they will appreciate your enthusiasm and can guide you (ortho BTW will basically be ALL clinical research unless you have 2 years to investigate bone growth factors, wound healing, etc). For me I will need a letter from my PI...she is not a clinician. You may want only letters from people in your field, namely doctors, so clinical might be what you want.

That all being said, I will reiterate that ANY research is better than NO research. If you can get your name on a paper it cannot hurt you.

-G

Thanks for your opinion. I'm going for it!

Does anyone else have anything to add?

Is it me or have the other replies been deleted from this thread?

I tend to agree with most of the other people, however, I personally would shy away from basic science research i.e. wet lab bench work involving pipettes and PCR. Clinical research moves at a faster pace, and you have a better shot at getting a publication (if that's your thing). It seems more flexible in terms of hours worked etc., but I could be wrong about that.

However, that being said, I wretch at the prospect of having to do anymore research after an undergrad career peppered with a myriad of lab jobs. I just don't want to be at a bench ever again, or at least not for the next few years. No more lab monkey for me.

At my school, it seems that most people who get first author on basic science papers are in med school 5+ years. Although it may be the case that, all else being equal, it's better to have a basic science publication, I have the feeling that ultimately, all else is never equal, since basic science takes a looong time to do and even if you do it and the project is successful, you might get third or fourth author on the eventual publication. I'm personally kinda torn about what to do (clinical vs. basic science) since, although I find basic science really interesting (did a few years of it in undergrad), I haven't really made up my mind about taking a year off to do research.

I have just been giving the opportunity to 'volunteer' in the Emergency med research department, mostly collecting data and data entry, with the chance to later head my own projects and potentially publish.

the only thing is, they require a 20/hr week commitment. Is this normal for clinical research? While I'm sure I can handle the added load to MS1, it seems like a loooot of free labour to give them every week.

20 hours sounds about average to me, and a lot better than some of the basic research work I've done where I had to put in quite a few days from 8am to 8pm. That was pretty intense.

Oh yeah, and I've heard of medical students getting first author on a paper or two, but they usually do this while taking a year off before the final year.