Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anybody that does research, do you understand everything that you are doing, like concepts and why do we do this? I don't know, just worried that if I get to do some reseach this upcoming summer, I'll feel lost or something like that.

solid snake

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I guess it all depends on where you are planning to carry out the research. Some institutions are known for taking in students, and I am sure that you wouldn't feel lost as the members of the lab are probably used to explaining things in a more detailed way.
Besides that, just ask. If you are not completely sure why one uses one technique over the other, or why a certain step is crucial for a protocol, asking a question is the best way to make sure that you get the information you want. And of course, post-docs and graduate students appreciate that as well :D Good luck!

nice chuang-tzu quote.
dont sweat not understanding everything you're doing in a lab when you first start. ask questions. dont be afraid to ask something that seems like a dumb question. but at the same time, know what you're supposed to know. if you're in a neuro lab and have taken intro bio. at least be pretty familiar with the neuro that you learnt in class. all in all though, it'll probably take you the whole summer to really understand what you were doing and why. so dont sweat it at all.