Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here, hoping to do some summer research between the first and second years. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer any direct Orthopedic research, but they do offer other research options. I'm thinking I could probably do research at another medical school in Orthopedics, but it might mean that I'm not getting paid. Do you think direct research in Orthopedics is that important? Or should I just shoot for any research topic available? Thanks guys/gals.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, I believe PDs want to see a student pursue interest in a given field and get involved with some research. I think that they would want you to be able to also elaborate on what you did and what the outcomes were. That being said, I would think that being involved in an ortho research paper, whether first or X author would be more beneficial then being a first or X author on a non-ortho paper.

Other issues do come up, such as you mentioned not being paid. If you are counting on this money to help pay loans or bills, then you might possibly have to settle on going this route. If you don't really need the money, I'd go the ortho route.

Furthermore, PDs understand that getting a paper published is out of the med students control usually, therefore, even if you produced a paper that wasn't published, but can explain the research thoroughly, then I think that is what they are looking for: interest in a given field and showing that you did indeed put in the effort for research.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if there's a PI at your school working on a rheumatology project.

Here is a quote from the PD from Columbia about research. I had asked how certain publications are viewed:

Publications are challenging and students often have little control over whether their research will ultimately be published so demonstration of research (i.e. presentations at meetings) is certainly viewed positively.

shoot for the best; the obvious is to try to find an orthopod mentor with a history of getting publications with students. try a web search and talk w/ other students/ortho residents

just email principle investigators who are doing ortho research. thats what i did and now i will be living in oxford for the summer doing research at the nuffield ortho center.