Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lost

Hi,
I did some research the summer after my freshman year. The stuff I did was helpful to the grad student who was writing the paper and she listed me in the acknowledgement section.
The question is....how do i mention this when I apply to diff places for an internship this summer. Also..is this considered partial authorship of the paper(which I doubt).
Lastly...is it better to bo back to this lab and continue my work or shall I go someplace new...i really want to be involved in other areas of research, but at the same time realize that continuity at one place is important.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

being acknowledged at the end of the paper is not the same as being an author. you are only an author when your name is listed underneath the title. when you apply for your internship just state that you did research for that summer. don't bother mentioning that you were acknowledged. as for your question on whether you should stay in the same lab, stay if you are really interested in the project. an advantage to doing research in the same lab for a long time is that you eventually take on more resonsibility and may even have your own project. this might lead to a senior honors thesis or even a co-authored paper.

calbear