Research questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderingGuitarist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I met with my advisor and she advised I should do more research and also told me it doesn't have to be in my field. I've done a year in a pharmaceutical lab and didn't like the research.

My question is the following:
Is doing research in computer science(with medical applications) good for medical school? I'm a techie and most likely can get published with a research paper.

Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any sort of dedication is seen positively. Research is not required for medical school. If you are interested in science research, then doing it just speaks to your devotion, your motivation, and your character. If you're more interested in doing computer science stuff, then doing that also accomplishes the same thing. Make sure you've got your pre-reqs nailed and it doesn't really matter what kind of research you do, if any.

To reiterate what has already been said, the type of research matters not, but rather that you are using the scientific method. Being able to synthesize a question, create a procedure, and arrive at a conclusion are great skills to have and is why research is important.

Computer science research with a medical aspect sounds great.