research questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anks106

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
When talking about research, people say that they have published an abstract.. but they talk about full articles as something else. How do you go about writing and publishing only an abstract and does it look as good as a full article?

Also, i see a lot of people mention posters in relation to research.. what are y'all talkin about?

Members don't see this ad.

anks106 said:
Hello,
When talking about research, people say that they have published an abstract.. but they talk about full articles as something else. How do you go about writing and publishing only an abstract and does it look as good as a full article?

Also, i see a lot of people mention posters in relation to research.. what are y'all talkin about?

articles are better then abstracts. when you say published abstract that most likely means a poster was presented at a conference and the abstract from the poster was published in a book for the proceedings of the meeting.

articles are way better then poster/abstract because they go through a much more extensive peer review process.

When you present your research to your peers, it's in poster, powerpoint, or article format. Honestly, the presentation type is not important. It's the message that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, the poster thing i understand. I noticed people saying that if you dont have the time/resources to get a full article published then try to get a published abstract. This does not seem to be the same as just a poster, any one know what i am missing?

At scientific meetings they call on the people attending to submit abstracts of their work for presentation at the meeting (in either poster form or as a talk). If your abstract is selected (most are) it will be published with all the others in a handbook that they give out at the meeting. An abstract is just a short paragraph describing your work-no data, not really peer-reviewed.

g3pro said:
When you present your research to your peers, it's in poster, powerpoint, or article format. Honestly, the presentation type is not important. It's the message that counts.
Yes, most academic scientists would agree that presenting your work on the cover of Science or in a poster at a meeting are equivalent. Thanks for that post, I needed a good laugh.

I'm currently publishing a bunch of stuff in a trade journal (for analytical chem.) as part of my job. Should I bother mentioning it? I didn't author a paper based on my undergrad. research in protein film voltammetry and am feeling a little left out!

daviddamoore said:
I'm currently publishing a bunch of stuff in a trade journal (for analytical chem.) as part of my job. Should I bother mentioning it? I didn't author a paper based on my undergrad. research in protein film voltammetry and am feeling a little left out!

from what i understand, it's most important to have research experience and be able to talk about your work and findings (and get excited about them). pubs are an added bonus, but i know two people who just started md/phd programs; they had a good amount of research experience but no publications. not everyone has the opportunity to publish, and it's definitely possible to do well in the app process without authoring paper(s).

hope that helps!
luck to ya!