Research Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that some classmates just stumble into lucky research jobs that will get them publications without really even doing any work? I have a few friends that have their names on a bunch of publications, but only because they are riding the coattails of their professors. It just chaps me off that some people don't work hard, and luck their way into a bunch of publications, and others work their tails off in a lab for a boss that doesn't publish as much, or requires more to get your name included on a publication. I have a friend who participated in a project for one lousy hour and got his name on a publication. Or another friend had a family friend put his name on a publication for doing about a half hour's work. Does this bother anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that some classmates just stumble into lucky research jobs that will get them publications without really even doing any work? I have a few friends that have their names on a bunch of publications, but only because they are riding the coattails of their professors. It just chaps me off that some people don't work hard, and luck their way into a bunch of publications, and others work their tails off in a lab for a boss that doesn't publish as much, or requires more to get your name included on a publication. I have a friend who participated in a project for one lousy hour and got his name on a publication. Or another friend had a family friend put his name on a publication for doing about a half hour's work. Does this bother anyone else?

Do better on STEP I and it won't matter.

Unless those authorships are first or second, unlikely if they were just riding coattails, theyre not really worth much.

Residency directors know stuffing when they see it, especially after a few strategic questions about research interests.

If you want to find water, you dig one deep hole, not several shallow ones. Likewise, if you want an impressive research background, you stick with a subject instead of just listing every time you held a pipette.