JD428

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who needs to make this decision soon, so I thought I'd throw it out on SDN and get some opinions. This forum has been really useful, I just wish I had found it earlier in the process, and I'm interested to hear what others think about this scenario:

Say you have two programs: one with very strong and universally respected research but a somewhat disorganized program administration; the other with solid, not amazing, research but an incredibly well-organized MSTP and a very committed and responsive administration.

I guess the question is: what do you all think is more important - the research opportunities available or the program itself (i.e. organization, administration...etc)? Sure, it comes down to personal preference, but I wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions, especially from those who are already in an mstp.

thanks in advance

neurotiger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2003
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I think that to go to a program where the research you're interested in is missing or one of the weaker departments carries significant liabilities...what are you going to do with a PhD in a department you don't want to stay in? However, if the research is good (albeit not spectacular) and you can find a handful of labs who do what you want...

My vote goes for organization. I thought all MSTP programs would be run with more or less the same efficiency, organization, and treatment towards their students...wow, I was wrong. After interviewing, I have a tremendous respect for those which are will run. Personally, I'd like to be able to get advice when I need it, to have an administration that cares what the students think, to participate in activities set up for MD/PhD students, etc. I also really wanted a program that was well-integrated, not one where problems like conflicting schedules for med. and grad. school classes are not addressed.

I'm entering one this summer so I don't have experience yet, but I saw a lot of different ideas about what it means to run these programs on the interview trail.

Habari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2003
Status (Visible)
i'll echo a bit of what neurotiger said - it would hinge upon how great the differential in research seemed to me.

being part of a program that is well run really makes a world of a difference - from everyday beaurocratic matters, advice/guidance, interaction between the med/grad schools [this is in comparison to a program i know well in the vincinity that is quite disorganized]. though some of these things aren't quite as important for a 1st year, it seems like they are appreciated more as one advances in their program. the program office here is amazing in that respect - but they are also lucky that the relationship between the 3 institutions is as fluid as it is.

i do think that if one is tenacious, has the smarts to deal with the system that is in place, and is self-directed - many of these things won't matter in the end [almost a direct quote from a student in the aforementioned program, though his frustration was apparent - 7th year]. it will, however, make ones life a lot easier. it's a long time, and there are a few transitions to make and quite a few things to keep track off along the course.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.