research strategy for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMG PGY-1 at a mid-tier university program on the east coast here

I have been trying to get involved with research lately as my goal is to secure an academic fellowship on the east coast. I have noticed in my senior class that a lot of the residents who are applying this year don't have actual published research. Most of their research activities involves a bunch of poster presentations, case reports and many ongoing projects. Many of them would ask for projects so that they can have something to talk about during the interview.

On the other hand, I only have 1 project and my goal is to get one done before moving onto the next. I have been told this isn't the best strategy and I should get on as many projects as possible to buff up my CV even if none of them end up getting published by the time I apply. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Program directors can count but they can't read.

Members don't see this ad :)
are published research ( original research, case reports and presentations) separated from ongoing projects in the application?

We all have to play the research game even if you have no interest in it. I would get involved in multiple projects and work on getting at least one published or presented

Program directors can count but they can't read.
Pretty much. I mean, they're going to read the titles of the abstracts/papers, but they're not going to go look them up.

Also, the timeline from starting a project cold to getting a PubMed ID on the paper you wrote is at least 12 (more likely 18-24) months. On the other hand, you can start up 3 or 4 different retrospective/chart review/observational projects and 6-12 months later, have 4 abstracts/posters at regional/national meetings to put on your CV.

Which of those 2 applicants looks better to a PD?

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much. I mean, they're going to read the titles of the abstracts/papers, but they're not going to go look them up.

Also, the timeline from starting a project cold to getting a PubMed ID on the paper you wrote is at least 12 (more likely 18-24) months. On the other hand, you can start up 3 or 4 different retrospective/chart review/observational projects and 6-12 months later, have 4 abstracts/posters at regional/national meetings to put on your CV.

Which of those 2 applicants looks better to a PD?

I see the point. and how important is getting first authorship on those research?

how is research in another field perceived? in what ways does this come up during interviews or during application screening? thank you

how is research in another field perceived? in what ways does this come up during interviews or during application screening? thank you

I had published research in another field that I did during medical school. It looks good to have publications no matter what field. I only got asked about it once and never did I get negative vibes about it. I think people recognize that applicants can change their mind and that they probably had other interests in med school