Research that holds more importance from residency point of view

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faizankhan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It has been mentioned that most PDs like clinical research more than the lab or bench research. I have currently submitted two research projects which were record review-retrospective studies. I was the 2nd author in both of them, currently I am working on another project which is a cross-sectional study. Which one do you consider is more valuable from residency point of view?

I have heard that record review studies do not hold much importance, is this true?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the program. Papers like what you describe are easier to put out than others like RCTs or bench work. On the other hand, you (hopefully) did something that is clinically relavant, and not work with "some protien."

Will it help you? Yes (Check the NRMP Match stats for more info). Which helps most? Don't know. Best policy? Know your work inside and out, weaknesses, strengths, logical extensions, and be able to talk about it intelligently.

It really depends on the program. Papers like what you describe are easier to put out than others like RCTs or bench work. On the other hand, you (hopefully) did something that is clinically relavant, and not work with "some protien."

Will it help you? Yes (Check the NRMP Match stats for more info). Which helps most? Don't know. Best policy? Know your work inside and out, weaknesses, strengths, logical extensions, and be able to talk about it intelligently.

Thanks a lot for such a prompt reply.

Well it is encouraging to know the stats!! But what about doing lab research after graduation for a period of 6 months-1 year? I am an FMG, and I will be applying for such a position at the top US medical schools. I wont be able to produce much during this time but how much impact can it have? How much do PDs appreciate such an experience?