Research - to do organic synthesis or not? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miasma

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about research although not really related to admissions so much (there is life before and after the application process!)
smile.gif
Anyway, for the last two years, I have been working in a cancer lab primarily with mice but also cell culture. It has been a good experience but I feel like I am not learning anything new, we have a paper coming out soon, and since the lab is so small (one tech, the PI, and me) it will take a while to get out another paper. What I really want to do is medicinal chemistry - I am a chem/biochem major wanting to apply to an MD/Ph.D. program. Recently, I've been interviewing (unbeknownst to my PI, I feel a little guilty) for another lab - there is an amazing faculty member in organic synthesis who hardly takes undergraduates that I want to work for. But... in a large lab I won't work directly with him and I probably won't get published. But he might recommend me and since I want to do research I feel my chemistry lab background is not up to par because of the opportunity cost of my current lab. So, should I switch? Also, has anyone been through the MSTP process who knows what they look for? I feel like I have a lot of good bench experience and extracurricular experience but my GPA is a little lacking (3.64 because of a C+ in Physics I, I don't think that's *too* bad but just having the C on there makes me nervous) and I am taking the MCATs in August (I am second-year). Thanks! Sorry for the longwindedness.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.