1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Research - to do organic synthesis or not? Help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Miasma, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Miasma

Miasma Junior Member

I have a question about research although not really related to admissions so much (there is life before and after the application process!) [​IMG] Anyway, for the last two years, I have been working in a cancer lab primarily with mice but also cell culture. It has been a good experience but I feel like I am not learning anything new, we have a paper coming out soon, and since the lab is so small (one tech, the PI, and me) it will take a while to get out another paper. What I really want to do is medicinal chemistry - I am a chem/biochem major wanting to apply to an MD/Ph.D. program. Recently, I've been interviewing (unbeknownst to my PI, I feel a little guilty) for another lab - there is an amazing faculty member in organic synthesis who hardly takes undergraduates that I want to work for. But... in a large lab I won't work directly with him and I probably won't get published. But he might recommend me and since I want to do research I feel my chemistry lab background is not up to par because of the opportunity cost of my current lab. So, should I switch? Also, has anyone been through the MSTP process who knows what they look for? I feel like I have a lot of good bench experience and extracurricular experience but my GPA is a little lacking (3.64 because of a C+ in Physics I, I don't think that's *too* bad but just having the C on there makes me nervous) and I am taking the MCATs in August (I am second-year). Thanks! Sorry for the longwindedness. [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.