Research Units

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potatoman1800

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do units for research count towards the BCMP GPA? I have been getting A's for the past several quarters at my school, which have been going towards my overall GPA. When entering my grades into the AMCAS app, will those be part of my science GPA??

Thanks in advance! Cheers :)

Members don't see this ad.

that sounds sweet.... been takin that class for past 3 semester :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, glad to hear that...someone i know told me that they don't and that got me worried. Might individual schools take those grades out and only look at the bare BCMP letter grades?

Do units for research count towards the BCMP GPA? I have been getting A's for the past several quarters at my school, which have been going towards my overall GPA. When entering my grades into the AMCAS app, will those be part of my science GPA??

Thanks in advance! Cheers :)
What is the title/prefix of the class on your transcript?

Its a pharmacology-based lab so its says "PHARM RES" on my transcript under the department of BIO SCI....

Interesting. We have something similar at my institution.

BCPM= GPA from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses.

I am starting to research next semester, is it usually relatively easy to make As?

it really depends on how the lab is run. they usually base your grades on the quality of work you produce and how well you help out with the other researchers or grad students. there is most likely a time commitment you have to meet as well so meeting that requirement would be considered.

If you get anything lower than an A, it usually means they want you out...haha good luck.

I am starting to research next semester, is it usually relatively easy to make As?

For most schools, yes. It makes sense since most of the time it's just a matter of doing what you are told/shown anyway.

Research is an excellent GPA inflator =p I took at least 3 units of research every quarter starting partway through my sophomore year. Never anything less than an A, and it's not like I did anything groundbreaking.

Of course, don't use this as an excuse to slack in your research or figure you'll get an A even if you half-ass your work. Research is still an important experience.

At my lab we get graded on a powerpoint presentation that we do at lab meeting to explain our research to everyone else in the lab. Our professor really grills people sometimes during these presentations, but she just wants to see how much we know and I'm pretty sure everyone comes out with an A in the end.

Hmm, a good point - you should talk to your PI about what basis he/she will use to grade you. Like the poster above, some people have to do presentations and things like that in addition to performing research duties. I just had to do my duties in order to get the grade.

Our department makes us write up a proposal of our project before we can enroll in research for graded units, and in addition, we have to write something up at the end of every quarter that your PI is supposed to read/grade. At the end of the "series", you're supposed to have something along the lines of a thesis of your research.