Research versus Clinical medical schools

Started by Dr mutt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr mutt

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm looking at medical schools and I'm trying to find out if that school is geared more toward clinical or research. I understand that most have a mixture of both, but my University's pre-health adviser said that on the school's website, I should be able to figure out which the school is focused more on. But so far, I can't find anything. All I'm seeing is the school just says something like, "yes we have research, yes we have clinical..."
 
So I'm looking at medical schools and I'm trying to find out if that school is geared more toward clinical or research. I understand that most have a mixture of both, but my University's pre-health adviser said that on the school's website, I should be able to figure out which the school is focused more on. But so far, I can't find anything. All I'm seeing is the school just says something like, "yes we have research, yes we have clinical..."

It's usually not an explicit statement, you can search for the US and World News Report regarding the best medical schools for research.

The top basic science research schools that I can consider from memory are: John's Hopkins, UCSF, Harvard, Chicago Prtizker, WashU St Louis, and U of W.



http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10016102-3.html
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm looking at medical schools and I'm trying to find out if that school is geared more toward clinical or research. I understand that most have a mixture of both, but my University's pre-health adviser said that on the school's website, I should be able to figure out which the school is focused more on. But so far, I can't find anything. All I'm seeing is the school just says something like, "yes we have research, yes we have clinical..."

There are really two types of schools: those that have a strong foundation in research and those that wish they did. Clinical and research expertise are not mutually exclusive and you will find that the top research schools are also the top clinical schools. Not to mention that you learn 98% of clinical medicine in residency anyway, so it's a meaningless debate to begin with.
 
Last edited:
There are really two types of schools: those with a strong foundation in research and those that wish they did. Clinical and research expertise are not mutually exclusive and you will find that the top research schools are also the top clinical schools. Not to mention that you learn 98% of clinical medicine in residency anyway, so it's a meaningless debate to begin with.

+1


In before meaningless debate!
 
It's usually not an explicit statement, you can search for the US and World News Report regarding the best medical schools for research.

The top basic science research schools that I can consider from memory are: John's Hopkins, UCSF, Harvard, Chicago Prtizker, WashU St Louis, and U of W.



http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10016102-3.html

Lol, basically the whole top 20. You forgot duke, michigan, pitt, yale, and a bunch of others that top some of the ones you listed.
 
You can start by seeing how much grant money a school receives, and whether it has an MSTP - stuff like that. Basically, the top med schools are the top research schools, they go hand in hand usually.

The choice is really yours on what to focus on when you're in med school. For example, UCSF is very primary care focused, but its also one of best research institutions anywhere. You'll find students there who hate bench science, and ones who only want to do bench science. You won't find information on the school's website about which they are more focused on - the website will try and convince you that its both. You have to read between the lines: look at the structure of their clinical training, affiliated hospitals, reputation from residency directors, stuff like that.
 
You can start by seeing how much grant money a school receives, and whether it has an MSTP - stuff like that. Basically, the top med schools are the top research schools, they go hand in hand usually.

The choice is really yours on what to focus on when you're in med school. For example, UCSF is very primary care focused, but its also one of best research institutions anywhere. You'll find students there who hate bench science, and ones who only want to do bench science. You won't find information on the school's website about which they are more focused on - the website will try and convince you that its both. You have to read between the lines: look at the structure of their clinical training, affiliated hospitals, reputation from residency directors, stuff like that.

The schools that have no research funding and are effectively 'forced' out of having a research focus will play up their 'clinical' focus. The irony is that they are probably also less accomplished with regard to their clinical focus than the research-focused school.