Research vs. Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAH360

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other threads I'd found on this are years old, and so I wanted to get some up-to-date opinions.

My plan is to apply to medical school after I graduate. I currently do research for a USDA Microbiology lab that's based at my University. I'm a second-semester Junior, and if things go as planned, I will have at least one publication by the time I graduate (probably more than one). My plan had always been to take the EMT training program at my University my senior year, and work full-time as an EMT for a year after I graduate. However, the time they're offering the EMT-Beginner class next semester doesn't fit my schedule. I've considered training to be an EMT at the local community college; however, I'd have to go through the whole application process to get into the college (HS transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, Personal Statement, etc etc), and to be completely honest, I'm not sure their program will fit my schedule well, either.

How important is clinical experience in applying to medical school? Could I just do research full-time for a year after I graduate and be just as competitive? I volunteer at the hospital and for an organization that works to feed the homeless in my state, I TA for organic chemistry (I actually TA for a flipped section, where I work very closely with students every class period [It's not just a show-up-for-class-hold-office-hours kinda deal]), and I'm a member of the Student Conduct Board, so I feel like those show that I'm personable. I have to apply to medical school the year after I graduate, because that's the last year my MCAT score can be used.

I appreciate y'all's input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on your area, but you can try to get a medical assistant type job (of course non-certified) to get clinical experience. Other than that I would say try to become a scribe or volunteer position that would allow you some patient exposure.

From personal experience, I know that you don't need to have anywhere near the SDN standard of hundreds of hours of clinical experience to get interviews or acceptances, but of course you should try everything you can to get some. You can also shadow to show that you have good knowledge of what the profession is like.

You must have some clinical experience before you submit your application. This can be paid or volunteer.
You should have some volunteer experience before you apply. this can be clinical or non-clinical.
Some people like the" two birds with one stone" approach of clinical volunteering but it isn't the only way.
Research is not a substitute for clinical experience and volunteerism.

EMT is not the only clinical employment you can get for a gap year. Some folks work as scribes (the pay sucks but you are right there at the physician's elbow) or as office assistants. EMT-B often boils down to a taxi service for folks on stretchers and in wheelchairs: shuttle service to dialysis treatments, radiation treatments, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You must have some clinical experience before you submit your application. This can be paid or volunteer.
You should have some volunteer experience before you apply. this can be clinical or non-clinical.
Some people like the" two birds with one stone" approach of clinical volunteering but it isn't the only way.

EMT is not the only clinical employment you can get for a gap year. Some folks work as scribes (the pay sucks but you are right there at the physician's elbow) or as office assistants. EMT-B often boils down to a taxi service for folks on stretchers and in wheelchairs: shuttle service to dialysis treatments, radiation treatments, etc.

Does volunteering at the NeuroICU of a hospital count as "clinical volunteering," or should it be something more hands-on?

Very true, and the pay sucks as well. But they are both good options for you OP, as you will at least make something.

To follow up on my learned colleague's comments, would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on? We require clinical ECs because you need to know what you're getting into, and to show us you want to spend the next 30-40 years being around sick people.

Reactions: 1 user
The other threads I'd found on this are years old, and so I wanted to get some up-to-date opinions.

My plan is to apply to medical school after I graduate. I currently do research for a USDA Microbiology lab that's based at my University. I'm a second-semester Junior, and if things go as planned, I will have at least one publication by the time I graduate (probably more than one). My plan had always been to take the EMT training program at my University my senior year, and work full-time as an EMT for a year after I graduate. However, the time they're offering the EMT-Beginner class next semester doesn't fit my schedule. I've considered training to be an EMT at the local community college; however, I'd have to go through the whole application process to get into the college (HS transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, Personal Statement, etc etc), and to be completely honest, I'm not sure their program will fit my schedule well, either.

How important is clinical experience in applying to medical school? Could I just do research full-time for a year after I graduate and be just as competitive? I volunteer at the hospital and for an organization that works to feed the homeless in my state, I TA for organic chemistry (I actually TA for a flipped section, where I work very closely with students every class period [It's not just a show-up-for-class-hold-office-hours kinda deal]), and I'm a member of the Student Conduct Board, so I feel like those show that I'm personable. I have to apply to medical school the year after I graduate, because that's the last year my MCAT score can be used.

I appreciate y'all's input.
In general, research is a nice thing to have, while clinical experience is mandatory. Better to cut back on the research than to blow off clinical experience if you want to get into med school.

If you already have some clinical experience would it be okay to focus more on research? I'm applying this summer, but I've been worried about volunteer and shadowing hours. Before this school year I had about 100 hours of hospital volunteering, and will have about 150 before I apply. I also volunteered at nursing homes but I don't know if that counts as clinical since most weren't patients. I'm volunteering for a couple hours this semester at a different department in the hospital and I could have volunteered enough to get 200 or more hours, but I spend about 10-12 hours a week doing research at my university's medical school. Will that hurt me come application time?

If you already have some clinical experience would it be okay to focus more on research? I'm applying this summer, but I've been worried about volunteer and shadowing hours. Before this school year I had about 100 hours of hospital volunteering, and will have about 150 before I apply. I also volunteered at nursing homes but I don't know if that counts as clinical since most weren't patients. I'm volunteering for a couple hours this semester at a different department in the hospital and I could have volunteered enough to get 200 or more hours, but I spend about 10-12 hours a week doing research at my university's medical school. Will that hurt me come application time?
If you want to attend a research intensive school, then more research is good. That said, you should, as mentioned elsewhere, have recent clinical experience (within the past 3 yrs) to indicate that you do know what it is to be around sick/injured people and you can see yourself in that environment for 30-40 years.