Research Vs. Volanteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niksem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's more important having a year of research experince including a published paper or volanteer experience? How are these interchangeble?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any possibility that you can do both? Medical schools do like to see research experience, not necessarily lab work. . . although it is also true that clinical exposure and volunteering is key. Is there any particular reason that you have to choose one or the other?

Most importantly. . . which would you ENJOY more? This should be your main criterion on which to base your decision. Not only will you be much happier if you choose activities about which you're passionate, but that excitement and dedication will shine through in your application. What types of experiences are you considering? Which interest you the most?

Very best of luck to you. . . whatever you decide, have fun!!!

I did some in volanteer work in a hospital and nursing home. Both of these experiences were quite boring and I did not enjoy doing. As a result, I jsut did not show for both of them after wroking a 2 hrs a week for a few weeks.

Just as Morninglight pointed out, just go with what you find interesting. I think some form of volunteer work or another is necessary; however, research experience is great but not necessary. It's a great idea to shop around like you're doing. Just make sure you sign out properly. Tell them it was fun but you're never coming back :p . After you find what you like, stick with it and get really involved in it. Good luck!