research vs. volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I do not have volunteer work since high school but I have been involved in undergraduate research and after graduating I work at a clinical research laboratory. Will this hurt my application?
I plan to volunteer soon but will not get a chance to include it on my AMCAS, does anyone suggest that I just update the schools regarding the volunteer work once I started it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

do you mean clinical volunteering? you should sign up for clinical volunteer work now and put the projected/estimated start and completion dates on your amcas. i know for a fact that adcoms/ad directors look specifically for clinical experience more than anything else in your EC's.

jp2004 said:
Hello all.
I do not have volunteer work since high school but I have been involved in undergraduate research and after graduating I work at a clinical research laboratory. Will this hurt my application?
I plan to volunteer soon but will not get a chance to include it on my AMCAS, does anyone suggest that I just update the schools regarding the volunteer work once I started it?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. I have extensive research experience but my volunteer experience was years ago and my clinical experience is minimal. I'm concerned how this will affect me, but I do know it's possible to at least get to the interview stage...One of my friend's was able to get some interviews w/o clinical exp. I guess it's all how you present yourself in your PS.

-Nina