Research with minimal guidance

Started by DermBrah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DermBrah

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was assigned a research project by my PI via a one-liner in an e-mail:

I have a new project idea, "How psoriasis affects one's partner as much as him/herself". Are you interested?

Is this normal? No explanation, no guideline, no nothing... Am I suppose to just start writing with what I think is best?
 
I personally prefer a PI who is more involved, as I've had bad experiences with PIs who are too hands off and have unrealistic expectations about the scope of a project a medical student can take on. But that somewhat comes down to your preference. I wouldn't say it's particularly abnormal to find a PI who expects you to take the lead.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank guys for the help - I asked for more details in person and she told me it is up to me to come up with an idea and to start writing.

Little odd, but hey, I'll go with the flow...