Research with minimal guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermBrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was assigned a research project by my PI via a one-liner in an e-mail:

I have a new project idea, "How psoriasis affects one's partner as much as him/herself". Are you interested?

Is this normal? No explanation, no guideline, no nothing... Am I suppose to just start writing with what I think is best?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally prefer a PI who is more involved, as I've had bad experiences with PIs who are too hands off and have unrealistic expectations about the scope of a project a medical student can take on. But that somewhat comes down to your preference. I wouldn't say it's particularly abnormal to find a PI who expects you to take the lead.

Hard to know with so few details. Why don't you ask more about the project, in person?

It seems unlikely that you would be expected to lead the project on your own. That would be no benefit to you or the PI. However, not knowing the details makes it hard to offer advice or a conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like they're asking if you would be interested in doing it.....as in, meeting with them to get more info

Reactions: 1 users
Thank guys for the help - I asked for more details in person and she told me it is up to me to come up with an idea and to start writing.

Little odd, but hey, I'll go with the flow...