antidote

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Status
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer and thought I'd ask for your suggestions.
I am applying in june, so I'm guessing whatever I do is not really gonna be considered by the adcoms (...or is it?)

my GPA's not too great (around 3.0 at best) so I'm wondering whether I should take more classes over the summer to boost my GPA. (would adcoms notice?)

Or do research, and maybe get a publication.

Or try to find a dental practice to work for, maybe do sterilizations etc.

thanks!

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
If I were you, I would take classes and volunteer 1 day a week. The amount of applicants are rising every year and the amount of competitive applicants as well. Since your gpa is a lovely 3.0, you have to bring it up. Have you taken the DAT yet? Research, I like research but It hasn't done anything for me.

HD

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
is it possible to do all three?
i would suggest to take summer classes and if you can squeeze it in work, of maybe even volunteer at that clinic. extra science classes, or maybe repeating a bad course will help and show that you are working hard over the summer. and doing hands on work at an office shows your doing more than shadowing.
good luck

wammmy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Cleveland
Status
What ever you decided to do, the Adcoms will notice. It seemed to me that they were very interested in what I was currently doing and if anything (grades, research, or volunteering) had changed since I completed my app.

I agree with the previous post try and get your GPA up and get some volunteer hours in. If you're applying to a research oriented school then that may be more helpful, but otherwise IMO I would work on the first two.

Landshark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
I have the same question because I will be graduating this May and I did not get into Dental School for the 2005 cycle and I passed the deadline for applying to graduate school.

I'm still uncertain if I can take undergraduate courses once I graduate and whether or not those classes will count toward my gpa.

I'm definitly going to volunteer at the clinic and I'm trying to find a local dentist to shadow with...

Anything else I should focus on? :confused:

EMORYswim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
antidote said:
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer and thought I'd ask for your suggestions.
I am applying in june, so I'm guessing whatever I do is not really gonna be considered by the adcoms (...or is it?)

my GPA's not too great (around 3.0 at best) so I'm wondering whether I should take more classes over the summer to boost my GPA. (would adcoms notice?)

Or do research, and maybe get a publication.

Or try to find a dental practice to work for, maybe do sterilizations etc.

thanks!
last summer i was able to do all three, i took biochem, worked in clinical research (no publications, just experience working with blood and everything around the lab), and i also got to shadow a general dentist (thats easy when its your dad), and an oral surgeon a lot. i would say it is possible to do all three, but if you dont feel comfortable being really busy during the summer, two is no problem at all.