Research year without funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How normal is it to take a research year (between M3 and M4) and not be offered funding? I contacted a few spots and they keep on mentioning that funding is not available. Is this normal? (derm)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that is a subtle "no" to you doing research there. Right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a research year (derm) that had funding, but not all of them are. Depending on the hours, you may be able to get a part-time job on the side.

FWIW, I'm really not sure how helpful my research year was because many people do them

Do you still pay tuition during that research year? I have a few friends who are thinking of doing that between M3 and M4.

Do you still pay tuition during that research year? I have a few friends who are thinking of doing that between M3 and M4.

No, but you're giving up a year of a physician salary of $300-$600k depending on specialty for an entry level research position that usually pays no more than $40k. TO ensure a good investment, you need to make sure you that's something the extra year will help earn back in the future. Also, if you have subsidized loans from your M1-M3 the interest will compound an additional year as well...

The only schools where you may be paying a year of tuition for research are the research-intensive schools that have a mandatory research year built into a 4 year program (for example Vandy and Duke come to mind). Even then most people can find some type of funding to offset those costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Check and see if your school will offer funding at all. I think it's pretty crazy to take on additional loans for a year to do research with absolutely no funding.

If it's not funded research, you may not want to take a year off from it. A year of break in medical school could be a red flag for a residency program unless there is something clear that comes from it (MPH, funded research with publications, etc.)

If it's not funded research, you may not want to take a year off from it. A year of break in medical school could be a red flag for a residency program unless there is something clear that comes from it (MPH, funded research with publications, etc.)

i've talked to many programs and I've come to the conclusion that many research years in derm aren't paid.