Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrunyan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am curious to see what some of the accepted medical school students did for research before medical school. How many of you have a masters degree?

Just curious to know,

jacob

Members don't see this ad.

The summer after I graduated, I worked for the USDA performing endocrine research on gypsy moths. I performed microsurgery to extract a tropic hormone from their necks that influences another hormone (ecdysone) to induce the pupa stage from the larva. We were trying to find a biological control for a growing gypsy moth problem in Maryland. I wanted to find an antagonist of the tropic hormone (this involved HPLC, radioimmunoassays, ELISA, etc..) It was the most boring thing I've ever done. It drove me to become a clinician. (I should say that I don't think research in general is boring, simply that research with bugs is boring!)

[This message has been edited by FourthTime (edited 02-21-2001).]

I did a fair bit of research before medical school, including:

longitudinal cognitive and motor changes in neurodegenerative diseases

cognitive and motor changes in CVA

use of primary care clinics to reduce readmissions to VA hospitals for patients with DM, CHF and COPD

use of KT/V as a measure of dialysis adequacy

tacrine drug trial

Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1

bone mineral density in women veterans

And I do have a Master's degree (Exp. Psych). Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finishing up a research project in Pediatric Infectious Disease, studying the molecular biology (genetics, phenotypes, etc.) of group B streptococcus. I actually started this project during college and was asked to continue full-time after graduation. The good news: I have lots of free time and have been published several times. The bad news: the pay is just enough to live on. Then again, I work as a research tech. and do not have a master's or PhD. Around here, you can make more money working for a biotech company than for a university, but publications are fewer at biotechs.

Hi

I've done two years of research in college. It was in a physiology laboratory studying the effects of antenatal glucocorticoids on liver metabolism in rats, sheep, and baboons, and relating that to humans.

I can say that research was a great experience, and also that I was able to see live animal surgeries, which broadened my horizons from "human" medicine

smile.gif

Two major research projects for me:

1) design and implementation of an MRI RF pulse and gradient sequence for 3D acquisition.

2) design of a microprocessor-controlled, field programmable gate array implementation of an implantable cardiac pacemaker.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed