Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you actually did research prior to applying, and if so what kind of research program did you participate in. Is research a big factor in acceptance??

Members don't see this ad.

only schools that are into research dentistry. my school leans towards community and volunteering services so that is required

Hey guys,
Just wondering how many of you actually did research prior to applying, and if so what kind of research program did you participate in. Is research a big factor in acceptance??

Research prior to applying: Effects of endog. catecholamines on cytokine production (IL1, TNFa, IL6) in macs (2 years MS program: neuroimmunol) and clinical prostate cancer research for 2.5 yrs after that. I was told research was a big factor in my app, but I don't think it's do or die. I agree it depends on your program's focus.

Hey guys,

There a spot for it on your AADSAS application for a reason. It sure isn't do or die, but it's a positive mark on your application and that's the name of the game. I did basic medical research on Erg1a ion channels/muscle atrophy intitiation and it was brought up in my interview. You don't HAVE to do volunteering, you don't HAVE to do honors classes, you don't HAVE to do anything and thats the point. They want competant, intellegent and interested students at their dental school that have done the extra mile; not just what they HAD to do.