Research???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is having research experience in the application process, all other things being equal?

Members don't see this ad.

research RULES!!
ummm...
where was I.
I think most people would say research - as anything else on your app - is only useful if you show an earnest interest - measured either by success (posters, papers...) or by time commitment (i.e. >> 1 year).
if you really liked research - I dont think question would even have come up; you'd be doing it without thinking about it.
(note: the "you" is not directed at the original poster - but the generalized "you" often confused with "we")
so, its really do what you like - research, volunteer, play in the circus - but show heart and enthusiasm.
of course you need to demonstrate lab skills somehow so you labs should be pretty good.

I just realized something: its FU$KIN saturday night and I'm posting on SBN.
Nah... that aint right.
gotta go get cronked.
later board. I'm retiring. :(

for tonight. :rolleyes: :laugh:

I think research is very important for research oriented schools (i.e. USNews) All things equal, sustained research experience probably gives you an edge in applying to heavily NIH funded programs.

On the other hand, research is absloutely not necessary for regular MD admissions. A lot of people just hated doing research, and I understand why. It's very much a delayed reward.

Keep in mind though that for regular MD programs your clinical experience is probably much more important than your research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sluox
Keep in mind though that for regular MD programs your clinical experience is probably much more important than your research experience.

Absolutely true. I had absolutely no research, and got into 5 schools (including 1 top 10) and was waitlisted at 6 others. And this was with average stats.

Very few schools actually require research prior to admittance, but I'm sure they all like to see it. One school that does require it, as of this year, is the University of Utah. One of your LORs has to be from a researcher you've worked under.

Get the book from AMCAS on Medical schools; it will help you to understand all the schools you are applying to much better, and that will be very important when you go to interview; that said, I know there are several schools that specifically mention biomedical research experience as being important: Cornell, U. Chicago and several others. Most schools simply say that relevent medical-related experience is important, and from my understaning that could be either clinical or research. But it can't hurt to have a little of both, ya know?;)