research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
I'm new to this web site so bear with me if this question's been asked b4: How important is research when it comes to applying to med schools? I have good GPA/good status in leadership roles , and i do lots of volunteer work in several areas...but I have no time/little desire to do research. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Research helps some, but if you aren't interested in it and never took the opportunity to get into it, you aren't going to be considered a bad applicant. There are some schools that stress research, and thus they really like to see applicants with research backgrounds, but thats the only scenario where it MIGHT prove to be a disadvantage. And even then, I am not sure it is much of one.

I have no research background and it hasn't proven to be a problem in getting in at all. People understand that there are doc-wannabes who don't have an interest in research... it's OK!

Someone else might be able to give you statistics or better info, but I would advise you not to sweat it. If its not an interest of yours, be ok with that and your interviewers should be too!

;)