Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CompSciMath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a question about pre-med stuff. I'm double majoring in comp.sci and math which in my opinion is not pre-med friendly at all (at least med school prerequisites wise). I know that research experience is good when applying for medical school, but I don't exactly know how to get a position. I am familiar with all the professors in my respective majors, but who do I go to if I want to do some research in some sort of medical field?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't have to be medical research. You can do research in anything you are interested in. Ask some professors what they do in their lab and if they are taking on students. Keep your eyes open for a paid position.

So, me doing research in something with mathematics/ computers will not be "less attractive" in the eyes of the admissions community? (Please note I'm not doing stuff just to look good, I'm still doing research with math and/or comp.sci regardless because I have a genuine interest).

Nope, doing what you like is probably the most important thing. Be able to talk intelligently about it at interviews, give some presentations, and get published if possible.