Research...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluenebula83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! First off, congratulations to everyone who matched! I just had a quick question. I'm an MSIV. I'm interested in doing Cardiology. Would it be a good idea to contact some of the research guys in cardio at the place I'm going to be starting my residency? I mean, I'm not gonna be doing much from now until then. I have vacation month at my current med school. I'm not a gunner but I know how much of obtaining a good fellowship is about research and having connections. I can do something in 1-2 months, or at the very least get the ball rolling on a project I can later work on.

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are about that...Thanks in advance.
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! First off, congratulations to everyone who matched! I just had a quick question. I'm an MSIV. I'm interested in doing Cardiology. Would it be a good idea to contact some of the research guys in cardio at the place I'm going to be starting my residency? I mean, I'm not gonna be doing much from now until then. I have vacation month at my current med school. I'm not a gunner but I know how much of obtaining a good fellowship is about research and having connections. I can do something in 1-2 months, or at the very least get the ball rolling on a project I can later work on.

I think it's a great idea. Honestly there will be a bunch of paperwork types of hoops to jump through, so you might as well figure out what those are and get started.

Only question is - are you 100% sure you want to do Cards? Because otherwise you will jump the gun, only to realize in your first three months into internship, that you really wanted to do something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only question is - are you 100% sure you want to do Cards? Because otherwise you will jump the gun, only to realize in your first three months into internship, that you really wanted to do something else.

I totally see your point. I can start internship, do a cards rotation and realize that's not what I want for myself. But I figure, doing research in any field doesn't hurt. Although not ideal, I could still use the experience and apply to Heme-Onc or ID or anything else. It's just that on my interview trail I saw so many residents who were trying real hard to work and get some kind of research time in on their free time. I realize I bet they'd kill to have an extra month to just focus on their project. So why not do something when I have some free time?!
:)

if you're motivated, go for it. If you realize that you don't want to do cards, the likely worst case scenario is to end up with a poster/abstract/publication not in your ideal field, but at least you can then point to that as success in research