Researching outside of Heme/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newb intern questions.

Finding dedicated research projects in the H/O department at my program is pretty tough. Mort residents seem to be doing case reports. One of the cards fellows is starting a pretty large project. As an intern, my initial role will essentially be data collection and entry. The patient population they are looking at is interesting and they have focused short and long-term goals. The study has zero to do with H/O, I probably couldn't even find a remote tangent. But I think it is a valuable study in a few regards: a)the study may actually have clinical value, b)a great learning experience in terms of research application and c) exposure to the academic community. I already have a good amount of H/O research from medical school. I will definitely pursue to the case reports and anything else I can find in the H/O department, but the questions are:

1. If I get involved in this project, is it a red flag to PDs thinking that I want to go into Cards?

2. I might be able to get a research spot at one of the other local programs. Does it look douche baggish to perform research outside of your home institution?

3. I have solid step 1 and 2 scores, should I take S3 after the application cycle? I was planning on taking it early, but it I try to get involved in 2-3 projects, time will be slim.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is ok to reach across and collaborate with other investigators at other institutions. It is good that you are starting early. You have to decide what you want to get out of a research project ; the project you describe may result in a paper in a decent journal ( or not), if so your name will be second or third or fourth author which does not count for much except to say that you participated somehow in this study ( participation in the real world could be just helping write up the date, doing real data collection etc.)

If you do a case report or a review, you have a much better chance of getting that published, I think being a first author on a case report is better than being the 30th author on a NEJM paper..

Where is your institution? Feel free to send me a private message to discuss further.

It is ok to reach across and collaborate with other investigators at other institutions. It is good that you are starting early. You have to decide what you want to get out of a research project ; the project you describe may result in a paper in a decent journal ( or not), if so your name will be second or third or fourth author which does not count for much except to say that you participated somehow in this study ( participation in the real world could be just helping write up the date, doing real data collection etc.)

If you do a case report or a review, you have a much better chance of getting that published, I think being a first author on a case report is better than being the 30th author on a NEJM paper..

Where is your institution? Feel free to send me a private message to discuss further.

Wow that's interesting, I never knew that fellowship programs looked at things this way. of course, I'm assuming "30th" is basically a surrogate for somewhere buried deep in the middle. Are first author pubs really the only thing that count when you apply for fellowships?

This is in general, in academia you only get full credit for papers in which you are listed as first or last author. You get partial credit to almost no credit if your name is anywhere else