Researching Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wylie313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys are there any other websites besides Scutwork.com that reviews and gives detailed information about residency programs across the country?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, but i know about freida...im looking for another site that people review and rate individual programs. thanks anyway though

I think scutwork.com is a good site but it isn't updated very often.

I think it's pretty difficult to find good reviews on programs. I've been told that residents keep quiet while there in there programs so that they can remain anonymous.

I think scutwork.com is a good site but it isn't updated very often.

I think it's pretty difficult to find good reviews on programs. I've been told that residents keep quiet while there in there programs so that they can remain anonymous.
I had a discussion with the owners of scutwork. They have been pressured, threatened and otherwise abused by programs to remove what they considered honest evaluations of programs.

Likewise residents who do post honestly do so at their personal and professional peril. No program is perfect, and some are less perfect (and contrarily some are more perfect) than others. Unfortunately, this, coupled with the match's stated expectations that you will remain in a residency for the duration of your training, good or bad with precious little opportunity to move to a better program, which by the by, you cannot do without your present PD's permission, leads to substantial abuses in those programs that are so inclined.

This is the sad reality of where we stand today. I would hope that all residents of all programs would post on these sites, good, bad or indifferent so that an independent and honest source of information is available to help medical students make an informed and intelligent decision on where to do residency.

If this were the case, residents who are interested in certain aspects of programs could then be more selective about where they applied, there would be far less of the skulduggery that goes on now, and programs would be happier with the type of applicants/residents they are getting. One person's poison is another person's perfume, so it might balance.

Another attribute of an open and honest exchange of information and opinion would be that the truely deficient programs/institutions might just have some incentive to do a tad better.

But, then, I've been told I'm an optimist.

Hey, wasn't there going to be a residency review database here at SDN? I remember for several months there was a link in the "Databases" tab for it, and when you clicked on it, it said "Coming soon..." There was even a link to enter a review about your program. Now they're both gone.

What happened with that? :confused:

Hey, wasn't there going to be a residency review database here at SDN? I remember for several months there was a link in the "Databases" tab for it, and when you clicked on it, it said "Coming soon..." There was even a link to enter a review about your program. Now they're both gone.

What happened with that? :confused:

It has been here for a while now. Some specialties have more posts than others though.

http://share.studentdoctor.net/residency/

It has been here for a while now. Some specialties have more posts than others though.

http://share.studentdoctor.net/residency/
Oh yeah, I've seen that. But I thought there was an area for program reviews, a la Scutwork.com, that was under construction - not for interview feedback but for reviews of the program by people who were training there.

Am I crazy?

Oh yeah, I've seen that. But I thought there was an area for program reviews, a la Scutwork.com, that was under construction - not for interview feedback but for reviews of the program by people who were training there.

Am I crazy?

No you are not. I recall Lee mentioning this long ago.... It would be nice if we can get that going.