Residencies and transfer students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misconception?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is transferring from a no name school to a pretty decent one because of family issues. He was asking me if residencies look down on students who transfer. Of course, I don’t really know but I assume that residency programs don’t care where you did your first two years as long as you do well on the boards. So I told him that I think that the second two years are much more important and that residency programs would only care about your graduating institution. I also told him that he should be ready to explain why he transferred if asked.

Is there any validity to my assumptions? If not, I would like to correct myself when I see him this weekend. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

misconception? said:
One of my friends is transferring from a no name school to a pretty decent one because of family issues. He was asking me if residencies look down on students who transfer. Of course, I don’t really know but I assume that residency programs don’t care where you did your first two years as long as you do well on the boards. So I told him that I think that the second two years are much more important and that residency programs would only care about your graduating institution. I also told him that he should be ready to explain why he transferred if asked.

Is there any validity to my assumptions? If not, I would like to correct myself when I see him this weekend. :laugh:

As long as he has a good reason and didn't burn any bridges at his first school, it shouldn't make a difference, IMHO.