residency and fellowship timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my program asked me to start earlier. let's say May 1. since the residency training is renewed on yearly base. if I start earlier, that means I will finish my residency earlier (on April 30).

will i be in an unemployment status for May and June in 4 years after my residency since fellowship usually starts on July 1 (like residency)? can i start my fellowship in some other time?

any experts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely, but possible. Almost all fellowships start July 1st. I guess it is possible if you ask around, but you are unlikely to get too much interest. They'd probably tell you to just take a vacation. Part of the reason is that usually someone else is in the fellowship and they don't want it double booked at once. If the fellowship is empty, then they would probably be more open to it. Your program may also just give you two extra months of training and pay you as a resident.

"Your program may also just give you two extra months of training and pay you as a resident."
it seems unlikely either since the training certificate is renewed on yearly basis. i cannot be paid for extra months either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we had a resident who finished up a year or two ago who started his residency early, and he stayed until the end of june of his last year of fellowship.

oops. "neither" not "either".

yaah, thanks. you know everything!:thumbup:

yaah, i sent you a message. do you have any idea about my Q?

As I said in the PM, not much. I know people do switch but every situation is individual. If you want to and are willing to go anywhere you will have more success.