Residency and Job Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rochester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been already answered. I was just wondering if the residency you go to influences the job you will get out of residency. I know all Emergency Medicine residencies are for the most part decent, but if I do a residency at a more prestigious/reputable hospital, will that lead to better jobs?? I know it may for academic jobs, but I mean just normal community hospital jobs.

Also, how difficult is it to get an emergency medicine job in Florida (if you are flexible with the city like Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami - any of those cities and the surrounding suburban areas), especially if you do not do your residency there.

Do most emergency physicians after residency have a easy time getting a job in the region they want to settle in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. You get the job because you're qualified and your interview goes well.
Some of it may come from people you know that vouch for you. So if residency X sends a ton of people to hospital Y, and you want a job at hospital Y, then residency X may help. Otherwise, it's up to you.

At the risk of starting another 'best residency' thread, I'll post a similar answer to this question (which, as far as I know, hasn't been asked on SDN yet).

Just as there is no 'best EM residency', there is no 'best EM job'.

I'm pretty damn happy at my community hospital and I know it would be a horrible job for some of my classmates from residency. Likewise, several of them are happy in a place that I'd hate.

Now, if the job you want is at your residency, then doing a residency there is obviously going to help you (or hurt you) since you'll be a known commodity.

There may be some truth to the notion that going to a 3 year program will make it much harder to get an academic job at a 4 year shop right out of residency. This concept has good face validity for me but, having no experience with a 4 year program, I can't say for sure.

How about that for a non-answer?

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been already answered. I was just wondering if the residency you go to influences the job you will get out of residency. I know all Emergency Medicine residencies are for the most part decent, but if I do a residency at a more prestigious/reputable hospital, will that lead to better jobs?? I know it may for academic jobs, but I mean just normal community hospital jobs.

Also, how difficult is it to get an emergency medicine job in Florida (if you are flexible with the city like Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami - any of those cities and the surrounding suburban areas), especially if you do not do your residency there.

Do most emergency physicians after residency have a easy time getting a job in the region they want to settle in?

Thanks!

No, what will influence your ability to get a job is your file (ie no flags), your LOR's, and your interview.

This is a tricky question. I'm currently going through the interview process and am applying to jobs on the other side of the country. I think that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, because many of the people I talk to know very little about my program. So if there's a pretty good program near the area you'd like to end up in, definately take a look at it.

Another important point is the grad network from your program. Most good jobs are not the one's you find advertised for in the back of the monthly throw aways (although I'm sure there are exceptions). The good jobs usually don't have to advertise that they're hiring, and knowing someone there, or having a grad of your program already there can help you get your foot in the door.