Residency and Pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what other women in podiatry have done or plan to do...

I will be in my early 30s when I finish up residency, but see myself starting a family soon after finishing pod school. Are residencies flexible in any way with women who want to start a family... extend residency, for example, in order to have a child with maternity leave?? Are some programs more family-friendly than others?? Is it okay to ask questions about this during clerkships??

Thanks for any opinions are advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering what other women in podiatry have done or plan to do...

I will be in my early 30s when I finish up residency, but see myself starting a family soon after finishing pod school. Are residencies flexible in any way with women who want to start a family... extend residency, for example, in order to have a child with maternity leave?? Are some programs more family-friendly than others?? Is it okay to ask questions about this during clerkships??

Thanks for any opinions are advice.

This is strictly SPECULATION (because it is fun to speculate). I don't have ANY KNOWLEDGE, but what I now write seems logical from a buisness standpoint.

If you told them before hand, they may not select you (that is how buisness works; they look out for themselves).

If you are all ready in, and then get pregnant, they can't do much but work with you (that is the nature of the litiginous society we live in).

Now, my disclaimer. That is how I would GUESS it would work. But, being an optimist, I would hope they would be as accomadating as possible. :)

There is no good time to get pregnant. I have some classmates that had kids while in school. Some had to make up clinical rotations others avoided it.
If you have a good support system to help take care of the baby then I'd say you should have the baby while in school so you are not pregnant during residency. I would not be showing during externships or interviews. Even though the programs are not allowed to descriminate they ultimately might.
If you get pregnant during residency that is at least 3 months of avoiding the C-arm (x-ray) in surgery and potentially missing cases and making your other residents work harder.

It also depends on what type of program you want. If you want a top program I see it being more of a problem than if you want just any program.

Once you get the program, if you get pregnant in your 4th year around the end of December you will have the kid soon after starting residency - not such a bad plan. If you get pregnant during residency most program have some maternity leave and you'll have vacation time as well. You may have to extend your residency to make up missed stuff, it depends on your program and how ling you need off.

I am waiting until I finish residency. I will be in my early 30's as well but I would like to be settled and more established financially before I welcome a costly new life into mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAWP at my school sponsors "The View" where they have a panel of DPMs for Q&A (one older DPM, one younger, one resident, one 4th year student... usually all women). It was pretty cool to listen to, and the general consensus when this issue came up was to have kids while in pod school if you want to have children. They said to do the 5yr program or whatever if you need to, and while there will never be a "good time," pod school is the best time. It was mentioned that you can always make up tests or clinic eventually, but if you don't have kids during school, you will end up missing out on serious training or $ later on (or will just end up 40 one day and never "got around to" having kids).

I'm male, so I'm sure my opinion matters next to nil :laugh:, but I thnk pod school is the best time also. A couple of my classmates are pregnant right now, and a couple of women in the 5yr track have had kids too. Besides, use some evidence-based medicine here: you lower your risk for ovarian CA, cut your BRCA risk in half, and have way lower risks of birth defects if you have a kid before age 30. :luck:

I think my fiancee and I will try to get pregnant sometime when I'm in residency (kids are basically free for the first few years if you have good insurance; they don't eat much and clothes are cheap). The only major expense I forsee is that I do want to have enough $ in place so she is able to take a couple years totally off from her job and I can pay the mortgage and bills with my salary and some loans (she'll definetly deserve it by then for supporting my broke *** for so long during school lol).

It's a very interesting issue and I was just giving some hearsay from that AAWP forum, though. Maybe it helped a bit, but hopefully some female practicing DPMs or female residents can chime into this thread to help you out. Why don't you also shadow some female DPM mothers and ask them what worked for them?

... missing cases and making your other residents work harder...
This is a fairly big issue to consider.^ I think residency is the worst time to have children. Your body is under a tremendous amount of stress (it is during school also assuming you work hard, but even moreso in residency). Some of your fellow residents and possibly attendings will not be pleased if you have to miss time.

I know I will try to be tolerant if I end up working with a female co-resident who gets pregnant, but I feel that it is fairly inconsiderate to your co-workers whether it is planned or not - esp if you take a heavy surgical program with long hours. How would you feel if I took a leave of absence and left you with extra research and cases when you're already swamped?

If you want to have kids during residency, I'd suggest picking a position with a female director. You are likely to get more empathy there.

I know that one of the second year residents at St Johns, MI just had a baby. They gave her a few weeks after she had the baby and then it was right back to work, but she said they were very accommodating and didn't make her feel bad.