1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Residency and School selection

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by MD/DO ALMOST, Mar 3, 2007.

1. MD/DO ALMOST

2+ Year Member

So, I have been trying to decide which school to attend, and I have not been able to get a very good handle on the reality of the future. I am curious as to whether or not it will really handicap me if I go to a newly established program at ATSU-MESA over an established school such as NOVA. I like the way the ATSU campus will be teaching us, as after one year in AZ., we will be in the clinical setting for years 2-4. Year two will be a mix of PBL style learning with clinical exposure as well. I am torn, because although this is a branch of a VERY old school with lots of resources and connections, I am concerned that the newer school will be seen as 'unproven', and that I may be making it harder for myself. The other factor is that after the twelve months in AZ. I will be sent somewhere that I really want to be for three years, and possibly be able to stay longer. any input? will good board scores and evals overcome any bias, or am I being really foolish here?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The school you attend will not make a significant difference in your residency application. There is *some* bias, at *some* programs, in *some* specialties against DOs but that is NO reason not to consider attending an osteopathic school.

Base your decision on where you would feel most comfortable; your hard work in medical school will be the most important factor in getting into residency.

4. MD/DO ALMOST

2+ Year Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply- I really appreciate the advice. I assumed that this was the case, and have been told it is so by several other physicians. I really needed input from someone who has had recent experience- very helpful.