Residency and School selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD/DO ALMOST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been trying to decide which school to attend, and I have not been able to get a very good handle on the reality of the future. I am curious as to whether or not it will really handicap me if I go to a newly established program at ATSU-MESA over an established school such as NOVA. I like the way the ATSU campus will be teaching us, as after one year in AZ., we will be in the clinical setting for years 2-4. Year two will be a mix of PBL style learning with clinical exposure as well. I am torn, because although this is a branch of a VERY old school with lots of resources and connections, I am concerned that the newer school will be seen as 'unproven', and that I may be making it harder for myself. The other factor is that after the twelve months in AZ. I will be sent somewhere that I really want to be for three years, and possibly be able to stay longer. any input? will good board scores and evals overcome any bias, or am I being really foolish here?

Members don't see this ad.

The school you attend will not make a significant difference in your residency application. There is *some* bias, at *some* programs, in *some* specialties against DOs but that is NO reason not to consider attending an osteopathic school.

Base your decision on where you would feel most comfortable; your hard work in medical school will be the most important factor in getting into residency.

The school you attend will not make a significant difference in your residency application. There is *some* bias, at *some* programs, in *some* specialties against DOs but that is NO reason not to consider attending an osteopathic school.

Base your decision on where you would feel most comfortable; your hard work in medical school will be the most important factor in getting into residency.

Thanks for taking the time to reply- I really appreciate the advice. I assumed that this was the case, and have been told it is so by several other physicians. I really needed input from someone who has had recent experience- very helpful.