residency application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottishlass

scottishlass
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot get my advisor at the med school to answer my questions so I thought I might ask SDN for help. It has come to my attention that I do not understand the application process for anesthesiology. OK, I am in 4th year so do I apply to anesthesiology programs now to start in CA1 2007 and apply separately for PGY1? Also, I may end up trying for Family Medicine up in Alaska for my clinical base year - is it even possible to apply to three different specialities through the match?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

scottishlass said:
I cannot get my advisor at the med school to answer my questions so I thought I might ask SDN for help. It has come to my attention that I do not understand the application process for anesthesiology. OK, I am in 4th year so do I apply to anesthesiology programs now to start in CA1 2007 and apply separately for PGY1? Also, I may end up trying for Family Medicine up in Alaska for my clinical base year - is it even possible to apply to three different specialities through the match?

Thanks for your help.

Thought we answered your questions in your earlier thread. Yes you can apply to that many different specialties through the match. Your problem will be that you want to only do one year of FM in Alaska for your PGY-1 year. Not knowing the structures of the residencies in Alaska, you may want to make sure that you are only applying to transitional year PGY-1 spots in Alaska and that they have these type of spots. If you list categorical FM, advanced anesthesiology, and FM/transitional year PGY-1 spots, you might match into categorical FM and be unable to match into anesthesiology this year. Best advice is to focus on securing a spot in anesthesiology first and foremost. That will be your biggest challenge given your geographical restrictions as stated in your earlier post.

The FP program is categorical- in other words, there is no first year available alone. Unless they are desperate for bodies or you have a special in, they will not sacrifice matching a candidate to the full three years for your one. I would have loved to do my TY there so I looked into it.

People will be both optimistic and pessimistic on this board. You are setting yourself up for disappointment applying to 3 programs in 2 states. I wouldn't take chances like that with my career. Good luck,

OK now I see the light. Thanks for your help. I do know the attendings up here in the FM programme so I much be able to work something out or maybe not. Anyways I hope to start an anesthesiology clerkship at Mayo within the next week or so and I will keep you posted on that. Thanks again for your advice.