residency application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needadvice

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone and thanks for all the input i have received so far. as a first year categorical medicine intern interested in switching to anesthesiology, do you think it is wise to send letters to various program directors now or pay the money and start applying through eras for ca-1 spots. any insight? best ;)

Members don't see this ad.

That's a really good question. I was just talking about this with a resident I know who's switching into anesthesia. This resident apparently discussed the same question with the anesthesia program director at the hospital he's at, and the program director said that many programs do not take you seriously as a candidate unless you submit an ERAS application. However, you can also contact the programs directly while you are in the process of applying.

Don't take it from me, though (2nd hand information!). I would suggest talking this over with the anesthesia program director or an equivalent at the institution you're at (If he/she is at all approachable). They might have a different opinion.

Originally posted by ajm:
•That's a really good question. I was just talking about this with a resident I know who's switching into anesthesia. This resident apparently discussed the same question with the anesthesia program director at the hospital he's at, and the program director said that many programs do not take you seriously as a candidate unless you submit an ERAS application. However, you can also contact the programs directly while you are in the process of applying.

I think the days of informally transferring into programs is over. For example, one guy that I know is trying to transfer to the PM&R program in our institution from general surgery -- he received the same response from that program director -- submit your paperwork through ERAS.