Residency application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eskimo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please see if my thinking is correct :) :

I underrstand that to get into anesthesiology you need a transitional year of sorts (I hope this makes sense). Some residency programs include this first year in their program and some don't. In order to enter the programs that don't include this first year you must enter the match to get a preliminary/transition year spot and then enter the match again the next year to get an anesthesiology spot?

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes this :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

You enter the match one time. When you are an MS4. You will apply to both categorical (4 yrs) and advanced positions (3 yrs). You will also apply to Prelim years (transitional is not correct), which may include IM, Surg, Transitional year, Peds, etc.

You may match into a categorical, then you will be set for four years.

You may match into a Prelim and Advanced, in which case you will be set for 4 years.

When matching into Prelim/Advanced positions, realize these are separate, and matching into one doesn't guarantee matching the other. So, you may get screwed and have to scramble into on or the other. Or, you can just jump into your prelim year and apply to anesthesia spots outside the match as an intern.

That's all for now. This really shouldn't matter to you until your fourth year of school, at which point there really should be someone at your school to help you through this.

You enter the match one time. When you are an MS4. You will apply to both categorical (4 yrs) and advanced positions (3 yrs). You will also apply to Prelim years (transitional is not correct), which may include IM, Surg, Transitional year, Peds, etc.

You may match into a Prelim and Advanced, in which case you will be set for 4 years.

When matching into Prelim/Advanced positions, realize these are separate, and matching into one doesn't guarantee matching the other. So, you may get screwed and have to scramble into on or the other. Or, you can just jump into your prelim year and apply to anesthesia spots outside the match as an intern.

That's all for now. This really shouldn't matter to you until your fourth year of school, at which point there really should be someone at your school to help you through this.

Thank you very much :) I'm an IMG and will be entering next year's match so I'm just trying to research programs for now and get all the info needed before it's too late :D

You actually can apply for BOTH transitional years as well as preliminary years. I'm applying for Anesthesia this year and I am only applying for transitional years instead of the preliminary years b/c I want more elective time (I know many others who are doing the same). Either transitional years or preliminary years will satisfy your intern year requirement if you do an Advanced program.