Residency Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prof Moriarty

the Napoleon of Spine
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Few questions for you guys...

1- I have a PM&R rotation lined up for Sept. Too late to get a PM&R LOR? What's the latest to reasonably get a LOR from this rotation and update my app's? I need a LOR from a PM&R doc, right?

2- I'm not sure where else to get a PM&R LOR.

  • I have plenty of other LOR's, but they're not from physiatrists. Should they say "this candidate will make a great physical medicine and rehabilitation physician" or should they just be generic? Does a PM&R PD care what a non-physiatrist thinks about my aptitude for physiatry per se?
  • Alternatively, one of the deans at my school is a physiatrist. I shadowed him once. Should I try to get a LOR from him for my 1 physiatrist's letter, or is that pointless? I was not going to seek a LOR from him otherwise since I have not formally rotated with him, but he knows me fairly well and could probably write a strong letter for me.
3- Level 2 boards. I'm scheduled for mid-October. I thought it didn't matter when I took this exam but I'm getting a vibe on here lately like it DOES matter and October is LATE. What's the latest I should take boards?

I was planning to submit my application in Sept and update it later with board scores and Sept PM&R letter. Any suggestion for a better plan?

Thanks!
 
I think that a PM&R Dean's letter is a good idea. For you to be a strong applicant I feel like a physiatry letter is very important. When you start your rotation in September your attending should have an understanding that you will ask him for a letter. I would be clear about this so that he has sufficient time to prepare. For what it's worth, I completed an away rotation late JANUARY some years back with decent reviews and just uploaded my evaluation form as a .pdf and sent them to all the programs.

Many programs will ask you about Step 2 scores. I think your plan is fine. Good luck.


Few questions for you guys...

1- I have a PM&R rotation lined up for Sept. Too late to get a PM&R LOR? What's the latest to reasonably get a LOR from this rotation and update my app's? I need a LOR from a PM&R doc, right?

2- I'm not sure where else to get a PM&R LOR.

  • I have plenty of other LOR's, but they're not from physiatrists. Should they say "this candidate will make a great physical medicine and rehabilitation physician" or should they just be generic? Does a PM&R PD care what a non-physiatrist thinks about my aptitude for physiatry per se?
  • Alternatively, one of the deans at my school is a physiatrist. I shadowed him once. Should I try to get a LOR from him for my 1 physiatrist's letter, or is that pointless? I was not going to seek a LOR from him otherwise since I have not formally rotated with him, but he knows me fairly well and could probably write a strong letter for me.
3- Level 2 boards. I'm scheduled for mid-October. I thought it didn't matter when I took this exam but I'm getting a vibe on here lately like it DOES matter and October is LATE. What's the latest I should take boards?

I was planning to submit my application in Sept and update it later with board scores and Sept PM&R letter. Any suggestion for a better plan?

Thanks!
 
Any and all of those LORs are a good idea. You ideally want one from a Physiatrist you did a full rotation with, but dean who is PM&R is very good as well. For the non-Physiatrists, I'd go more generic, unless they can state their reasons for saying you'd make a good Physiatrist.

For the board scores, keep in mind final decisions for ranking isn't until Jan/Feb 2011, and some interviews don't go out until December.