Residency application research/location question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the summer between my first and second year of medical school, would it be better to:

1. Do research in the city where I would like to do residency, perhaps even at the same hospital, with prominent faculty, or

2. Do research at my home city, which is very very far from where I will be attending medical school and where I would like to seek residency training, but I know that I would be able to publish?

Also, would it help my residency application to a particular hospital if I did away electives or research in the same city, but NOT at that hospital?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the place you want to go highly competitive like Cali, Chicago, or DC? Is it outside of the region you are applying from? If yes to either one then I would stronger consider doing the away research.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the summer between my first and second year of medical school, would it be better to:

1. Do research in the city where I would like to do residency, perhaps even at the same hospital, with prominent faculty, or

2. Do research at my home city, which is very very far from where I will be attending medical school and where I would like to seek residency training, but I know that I would be able to publish?

Also, would it help my residency application to a particular hospital if I did away electives or research in the same city, but NOT at that hospital?

Many thanks!

Go wherever you think you'll get a publication, hands down.

You can always do an away rotation in the place you'd like to go early I. Fourth year, but a research block that summer with nothing to show for it will be worth near nothing.

I'd like to go to NYC or Boston for residency. My medical school is in the Northeast region, but not located in either city. My home city is far away from that part of the country.

I'm debating this because if I choose to stay at my home hospital, I would get a paper published, whereas if I did research in the city where I'd like to pursue residency, my research mentor could be the residency director there or a prominent faculty like the department chair.

I'd definitely stick with where you can publish. Only the program you do research at will care that you did it there, but every program that you apply to will care if you publish. Traditionally, that's what a fourth year away elective is for, to break into a program that doesn't know you. It's much better to wow them in a clinical rotation working with multiple faculty than in a research position where you may or may not even interact with clinical faculty.

It won't make any difference. If you want to get an interview at MGH/BWH or BID then you need a lot more than simply doing a 10 week research rotation in the city in question. Get your grades and board prep in order then worry about the other stuff :)

No research will make up for not having a 3.7/250 or whatever you need to get a honest shake at those programs.

With that said, if you feel like you need research (which you don't) then sign up with a productive lab and do it throughout the year. You can't accomplish much of anything in 10 weeks.

This holds true for all the competitive regions/programs in the country.

For a moderately competitive program, would it help my residency application to a particular hospital if I did away electives or clinical research in the same city, but NOT at that hospital?

Dude, get a publication. No one cares if you do research somewhere if you don't get an abstract/poster/publicatino out of it. Doesn't really matter where you DID the research. What matters is WHERE it got published. But any publication is better than anything that is not p ublished.