Residency application submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application submission opens on Sep 1st for 2021 cycle. It is going to stay open until oct 20th. Does it matter when I submit application, 1st, 10th or 25th? The program will get it on oct 23rd. My school said it doesn't matter, but upper classmates said if I submit early then I'll get interviews early as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Your classmates are wrong. ERAS opens for programs on Oct 21. We get all apps submitted prior to 10/21 on 10/21, and they will all be labeled "applied on 10/21". Applying earlier is of no benefit, other than it's done and you don't have to worry about it any more (which is a benefit). ERAS doesn't close to students on 10/21 -- you can still apply, add documents, etc.

Although it doesn't matter when you apply, I do recommend not cutting it too close to the deadline. Every year someone posts how their internet connection died, they were unable to submit on 9/15 (the usual program open date), they submitted on 9/16, and now they are convinced their chances are ruined. It won't matter, but they will still worry. So submit sometime before 10/15 just to be sure, then check on 10/21 to ensure that you have all of your documents assigned correctly.

Reactions: 8 users
Your classmates are wrong. ERAS opens for programs on Oct 21. We get all apps submitted prior to 10/21 on 10/21, and they will all be labeled "applied on 10/21". Applying earlier is of no benefit, other than it's done and you don't have to worry about it any more (which is a benefit). ERAS doesn't close to students on 10/21 -- you can still apply, add documents, etc.

Although it doesn't matter when you apply, I do recommend not cutting it too close to the deadline. Every year someone posts how their internet connection died, they were unable to submit on 9/15 (the usual program open date), they submitted on 9/16, and now they are convinced their chances are ruined. It won't matter, but they will still worry. So submit sometime before 10/15 just to be sure, then check on 10/21 to ensure that you have all of your documents assigned correctly.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful :)