• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Beta320

_kai_
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
what do hospitals look for besides gpa, your board scores, and rotation evaluations? would getting an MBA help in any way especially if it restricts you to stay local for rotations?

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
1. Interview
2. Boards
3. Letters of recommendation
4. Clinical performance evaluations
5. Pre-clinical grades
6. Research/additional education (MS, MPH, MBA, PhD)
7. Honor society affiliations
8. National and Local involvement in desired specialty (conferences, society memberships)
9. Shoe size

Beta320

_kai_
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hey thanks for the response. I knew shoe size was a deciding factor but who knew that board scores would be?

About the Ads

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey thanks for the response. I knew shoe size was a deciding factor but who knew that board scores would be?

:D

Those seem to be the things PDs look for. Talk to some people who are in positions to make decisions on future residents and see what they tell you.

Good luck.

Beta320

_kai_
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
my school is offering a Masters in Bioethics starting next year and I was curious if you thought that would help a person with their application if they wanted to do internal medicine? how about plastic surgery?

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have yet to meet a program director who looks at an additional year of education (in any discipline) as a negative.

For example, I did an extra year in school in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine as an OMM Fellow, and will get a masters from it.

Even in talking with allopathic programs all of them commended me on the dedication and sacrifice that the extra year takes and all were enthused that I was pursuing additional training that would make me an overall better physician/clinician/teacher.

Beta320

_kai_
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
well now here's another question for you: does it matter where you do your clinical rotations? Say a student gets the same evaluation of an "equal" student at a "better" hospital will the committee choose the student whose rotation was in a "better" hospital?

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
well now here's another question for you: does it matter where you do your clinical rotations? Say a student gets the same evaluation of an "equal" student at a "better" hospital will the committee choose the student whose rotation was in a "better" hospital?

Programs are going to want people to rotate at their site(s). Afterall, if you plan on attending there they hope you are familiar with the program.

When given two clinical sites, I think PDs will go with the one they are more familiar with. Given two clinical sites the PD is NOT familiar with, namesake probably carries the weight.

Point is...if you want to go to Program A, rotate at Program As hospitals.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have yet to meet a program director who looks at an additional year of education (in any discipline) as a negative.

For example, I did an extra year in school in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine as an OMM Fellow, and will get a masters from it.

Even in talking with allopathic programs all of them commended me on the dedication and sacrifice that the extra year takes and all were enthused that I was pursuing additional training that would make me an overall better physician/clinician/teacher.

Curious, a masters in OMM?

Jamers

Sexy Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
North Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
what do hospitals look for besides gpa, your board scores, and rotation evaluations? would getting an MBA help in any way especially if it restricts you to stay local for rotations?

This was taken from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370338

You want some evidence, instead of all us undergrad me student spouting off about how LORs and more important than Boards or class rank. Read what the latest ERAS info is.

A bit of new information from an ERAS study about success in the ACGME-NRMP match (MD)
-----
[Assume parallels in the AOA-NMP match (DO)]

What are programs looking for
things they look for are: AAMC match outcomes for ACGME Programs (best predictors of match)

1. Performance on Step 1 of USMLE
2. Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha (MD school honor society)
3. Existence of applicant authored publications
4. Research experience
5. Number of programs ranked by applicant (the more the better chance)

Also noted (but not ranked in study):
6. Medical school transcripts (clerkship grades)
7. Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) = Dean’s letter
8. Letters of recommendation
9. Personal statements from ERAS
10. Interview experience

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This was taken from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370338

You want some evidence, instead of all us undergrad me student spouting off about how LORs and more important than Boards or class rank. Read what the latest ERAS info is.

A bit of new information from an ERAS study about success in the ACGME-NRMP match (MD)
-----
[Assume parallels in the AOA-NMP match (DO)]

What are programs looking for
things they look for are: AAMC match outcomes for ACGME Programs (best predictors of match)

1. Performance on Step 1 of USMLE
2. Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha (MD school honor society)
3. Existence of applicant authored publications
4. Research experience
5. Number of programs ranked by applicant (the more the better chance)

Also noted (but not ranked in study):
6. Medical school transcripts (clerkship grades)
7. Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) = Dean’s letter
8. Letters of recommendation
9. Personal statements from ERAS
10. Interview experience

Good post, I should mention that it varies widely from specialty to specialty. The most recent paper I saw polling PDs in EM placed Step II above Step I (when it was available) and placed elective rotation grades above everything.

If you're talking about the heavy-hitting surg sub-specialties though, Step1/AOA is where it's at.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.