Residency applications moving slow. Next step??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year student here. I know this is a weird year for residency interviewing due to COVID, but I'm starting to worry, cuz I'm hearing nothing back. I'm a competitive applicant for Psych with 220's step, psychology/biology undergrad, mid tier student at school with no red flags. I feel like I over applied, 55 programs for psych, but like I said its a weird year and with online interviews I thought to over apply. The thing is I'm hearing nothing back. One denial so far, two secondaries, but no interview invites so far. The one way I messed up was I forgot to assign my board scores to programs. I had them uploaded, but didn't have them assigned for programs to see, but got them in 2 days after applications were released. I guess this is a common mistake students do, because this process is somewhat odd and requires one more step after the USMLE and NBOME do their part of the score release.

For other specialties I've heard it moving along at an appropriate rate. My two psych friends have had only one or two interviews lined up. I'm kind of worried that without my scores on day one, I may have been overlooked by programs as that is the first criteria for interview invites. I've also heard that programs get updates when a student updates their application, and that this has actually worked to some people's favor, I.E. a student adding an extra LOR late in the cycle, a program seeing this update and reviews the students app and sends them an invite. Since it was slow with psych so far, I am wondering if programs are taking time to review applicants and then sending out invites. If so then my scores being 2 days late shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

So what should my next step be? Should I email program directors saying, "Hey I forgot to upload my scores to ERAS, but it is now in if you could please take a look at my application?" If not program directors, who should I contact to make this information known? And if this is a poor avenue of attack what else should I do? Letter or intent to different programs? I just feel like this should be moving so much quicker and am a little bummed out and want to be proactive in this situation. Thank you everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

was your list of 55 programs ones that traditionally have a lot of DO residents? objectively 220's step is average at best, definitely not competitive. i know across the board people are not getting as many invites as anticipated but do you have an advisor to reach out to at your school to weigh in on your situation with your full app in front of them?

Honestly psych programs are such a crap shoot. Most seek out a minimum score for boards to filter apps and then the rest of the process is looking for fit and commitment to the specialty. If I were you I’d write a letter of intent to a program or two just to update them on the board scores.

That being said my #1 program informed me they are looking at ALL applications (1100+) before sending out invites. Idk if that’s the case with more programs but hang in there man. It’s still early.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would email the programs to let them know of your interest. I did this when I applied and got an additional interview in Maryland. I am from the West Coast and they admitted they had initially overlooked my application because of this. Once I sent them a letter, I got an interview the day later.

"You miss all the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott.

I would email the programs to let them know of your interest. I did this when I applied and got an additional interview in Maryland. I am from the West Coast and they admitted they had initially overlooked my application because of this. Once I sent them a letter, I got an interview the day later.

"You miss all the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott.

Did you send it to the program coordinator or director?

That being said my #1 program informed me they are looking at ALL applications (1100+) before sending out invites. Idk if that’s the case with more programs but hang in there man. It’s still early.
Dang that's bonkers. So much work! Must have a giganto spreadsheet going, hope they don't lose the file and have to start over...

Dang that's bonkers. So much work! Must have a giganto spreadsheet going, hope they don't lose the file and have to start over...

Most decently sized and decent programs do that every year. 1000+ is the norm for psych. This is why places toss out a fair number for objective reasons before diving deeper.

Reactions: 1 user
When you guys are saying email program directors, what are you sending? It's too early for a letter of intent, correct? I thought that is supposed to be after an interview. Would something like hi, I like the area, I like this about the program, and just wanted to make sure you viewed my application suffice?

4th year student here. I know this is a weird year for residency interviewing due to COVID, but I'm starting to worry, cuz I'm hearing nothing back. I'm a competitive applicant for Psych with 220's step, psychology/biology undergrad, mid tier student at school with no red flags. I feel like I over applied, 55 programs for psych, but like I said its a weird year and with online interviews I thought to over apply. The thing is I'm hearing nothing back. One denial so far, two secondaries, but no interview invites so far. The one way I messed up was I forgot to assign my board scores to programs. I had them uploaded, but didn't have them assigned for programs to see, but got them in 2 days after applications were released. I guess this is a common mistake students do, because this process is somewhat odd and requires one more step after the USMLE and NBOME do their part of the score release.

For other specialties I've heard it moving along at an appropriate rate. My two psych friends have had only one or two interviews lined up. I'm kind of worried that without my scores on day one, I may have been overlooked by programs as that is the first criteria for interview invites. I've also heard that programs get updates when a student updates their application, and that this has actually worked to some people's favor, I.E. a student adding an extra LOR late in the cycle, a program seeing this update and reviews the students app and sends them an invite. Since it was slow with psych so far, I am wondering if programs are taking time to review applicants and then sending out invites. If so then my scores being 2 days late shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

So what should my next step be? Should I email program directors saying, "Hey I forgot to upload my scores to ERAS, but it is now in if you could please take a look at my application?" If not program directors, who should I contact to make this information known? And if this is a poor avenue of attack what else should I do? Letter or intent to different programs? I just feel like this should be moving so much quicker and am a little bummed out and want to be proactive in this situation. Thank you everybody.
Where did you apply? As a DO two years ago I applied to 60 programs in the NE, all with track records of taking DOs, and got 9 invites with very strong COMLEX scores and a mid 220s Step 1. That was two years ago, so if your COMLEX scores are weaker than the high 500s, or you're weighted heavily in competitive metros, you should probably expect to apply to more programs than I did to get the 8 or 9 needed to match reliably

Psych is also the least numbers heavy when it comes to handing out invites, so there is a fine tooth comb process of looking over every app as thoroughly as possible once you're over the screen

Reactions: 1 user