Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Residency Applications

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Dunce, May 8, 2007.

1. Dunce

Dunce Senior Member

Medical Student
    I wasn't sure where to post this but a lot of 3rd/4th year students seem to post in this section.

Is there anything that I should be doing to get ready to start the ERAS application process when it goes active online? I have a current CV already.

I just have a very busy July-September and want to be able to get all of my application stuff finished and submitted by mid September without having to kill myself with the application process during my first rotations of 4th year.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    contact the people you would like to write your LOR. They don't necessarily need to begin writing it yet, but make sure you have them lined up. You'll need to provide an ERAS cover sheet at some point, but they don't need that to begin writing your letter.

You can begin brainstorming your PS, too. Check out First Aid for the match, or some other source of statements appropriate for your specialty. get some ideas for what you want to say.

Speak to your advisor. If you don't have one yet, get one. It's a good time to assess your stats and determine where you should be applying. Then you can begin researching programs to learn a little.

4. pinkfrosting

pinkfrosting Junior Member

Medical Student
    I second the advice above. You should definitely think about LORs, and if you have anyone that you already know you want a letter from, ask. I asked one of my letter-writers in July and they didn't get it in until October, so the earlier you ask, the better.

You can also start thinking about your personal statement. Why do you want to go into a certain specialty? What makes you a good match for that specialty? What do you see yourself doing long term? All that good stuff. You can start researching programs. The FREIDA search is of great help. You can find it by typing FREIDA into google.

The final bit of advice is to get your stuff submitted as early as possible. Most programs offer interviews on a rolling basis, so the earlier you get your stuff in, the higher the chances that you'll get interviews. This is particularly important in specialties that have many applicants and few spots.

Hope this helps! :)

5. ozarka

ozarka Junior Member

Medical Student
    Is there an advantage to interviewing earlier - i.e. Nov/Dec as opposed to Jan?

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician

No, programs have ranking meetings after each interview session. At the end of all interviews, the applicants are ranked again. Some programs (like mine) have upward of 700 applicants for five slots. In that case, getting your ERAS application done and complete as soon as possible is helpful so that you can snag one of the interview slots (we only interview 75 people). The date of the interview doesn't matter but if your application goes in late, you might not get an interview spot because they will be filled.

7. Zuwie

Zuwie Member

You should definitely have your personal statement checked by someone, preferably someone who understands the process. And it doesn't really matter when you interview, you should cater it to your schedule and personal preferences.