residency changes in 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ratchet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard some recent rumors that rad residencies are changing to a mandatory integrated fellowship 3+2/3 format in the near future. I couldn't find any concrete evidence on abr/acr websites. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone give me accurate info?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard some recent rumors that rad residencies are changing to a mandatory integrated fellowship 3+2/3 format in the near future. I couldn't find any concrete evidence on abr/acr websites. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone give me accurate info?

Thanks.

The earliest change in Oral board format is 2012 or 2013. (I have it from a very good authority). If that is the case, I don't see how they can change the format of residency without first changing the boards.

The earliest change in Oral board format is 2012 or 2013. (I have it from a very good authority). If that is the case, I don't see how they can change the format of residency without first changing the boards.

Are you talking about the entering classes of 2012/2013?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about the entering classes of 2012/2013?

I'm talking the exam year 2012/2013. This year there was a pilot pediatric case section which went surprisingly smoothly so I think there will definitely be a change in the format. There is talk of pushing the board 1 year after graduation which would mean the folks starting radiology R1 this year, thats 2008, not class of 2008, or the next, thats 2009, not class of 2009 would be the first to see these changes. Either way, what are you gonna do? If you want to be a radiologist, you will jump through what ever flaming hoops they ask you too and hopefully you don't get burned in the process.

Let me tell you, now I am at the bright end of the tunnel and man things look great over here! :D

Either way, what are you gonna do? If you want to be a radiologist, you will jump through what ever flaming hoops they ask you too and hopefully you don't get burned in the process.

I'm well aware of that. :p Just curious what sort of monster is lurking at the top of the mountain I want to climb.

I'm talking the exam year 2012/2013. This year there was a pilot pediatric case section which went surprisingly smoothly so I think there will definitely be a change in the format. There is talk of pushing the board 1 year after graduation which would mean the folks starting radiology R1 this year, thats 2008, not class of 2008, or the next, thats 2009, not class of 2009 would be the first to see these changes. Either way, what are you gonna do? If you want to be a radiologist, you will jump through what ever flaming hoops they ask you to and hopefully you don't get burned in the process.

Let me tell you, now I am at the bright end of the tunnel and man things look great over here! :D

This is true for any specialty, if you want it bad enough.

Congratulations on passing boards, by the way!

I'll be there in 6 or 7 years depending on how the ABR does things, I suppose.

Where are you headed now? Further training, big-time academic attending, or is it time to really retire those loans? ;)

Congratulations on passing boards, by the way!

I'll be there in 6 or 7 years depending on how the ABR does things, I suppose.

Where are you headed now? Further training, big-time academic attending, or is it time to really retire those loans? ;)

Thanks! I'm not quite done yet. I'll be doing a fellowship in IR with emphasis on oncology, then I have a job waiting for me in private practice. :)