Residency closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why are these residencies so different to your mind?

Mine is a hospital based general anesthesia program attended by a mix of MD and DMD anesthesiologists, primarily MD, where we do cases involving general surgery, neuro, cardiothoracic, vascular, OBGYN, podiatry, and orthopedics on top of OMFS and general dental cases. We work very closely with the surgery residencies. Our accrediting agency has similar requirements to ACGME in many instances.

Either way, summarily shutting down a residency in the middle with little to no warning is a really ****ty move.

Different governing body, structure, and rules.

Reactions: 1 user

Mine is a hospital based general anesthesia program attended by a mix of MD and DMD anesthesiologists, primarily MD, where we do cases involving general surgery, neuro, cardiothoracic, vascular, OBGYN, podiatry, and orthopedics on top of OMFS and general dental cases. We work very closely with the surgery residencies. Our accrediting agency has similar requirements to ACGME in many instances.

Either way, summarily shutting down a residency in the middle with little to no warning is a really ****ty move.
Is it an acgme residency? There are protocols that have to be met for a program to be closed by the acgme. However a hospital can always close a program on their end... say decides that it's too expensive or not an area they want to be in, etc.
If not acgme, then it's not relevant .

Because you're a dentist doing a dental "residency". It may vaguely resemble a real residency but isn't the same thing at all.

Well my residency will still be open at the end of the year

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, having been a pt at one time, these dental residencies are legit.

How does being a patient allow you to determine if a dental residency is legit?

Because you're a dentist doing a dental "residency". It may vaguely resemble a real residency but isn't the same thing at all.

We have a dental resident with us right now on the pediatric floor. They are literally just shadowing on rounds from 8-11ish and then leave when they're finished. They will be with us for 3 weeks doing this.