residency competitiveness and lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomalii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been asked multiple times over the years, but from what I read from old threads, this specialty seems to be ever fluctuating. To get to the point, my stats are:
-step 1 = 222
-GPA - first 2 years at exactly class median, this third year an A in anesthesia, A in a 2 credit elective, B's in everything else except family medicine which was an AB
-no extracurriculars unfortunately
-interesting family background and raised in inner city urban setting (planning to apply to a program from the city which I grew up for residency and staying in that city for my career)
-not going to take step 2 until end of my fourth year

1) What are my chances of matching and having some decision as to where I want to go in the midwest?
2) Is it reasonably manageable to have a 40 hour week once out in full practice?
3) Is there a way to tell how competitive a particular program is? I know this sounds simplistic but wanted to gauge where I may be.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a US medical grad w a step 1 of 222, you have a good chance of matching with "some" decision within the midwest (likey will match within your top 8-10).
There are usually large HMO-style organizations where a 40 hr work week is possible. Realize this is usually one 24 hr call and two days of clinic =36hrs... Which would be considered part time. So you would be making career/financial sacrifices for lifestyle.
Best of luck

Applications were up this year (2x is what I heard on the trail). So my advice is apply early. I think with a 222, you can match well in the midwest. I don't think it's as competitive as either coast. I advise applying to a good number of places, and apply to top, middle and lower tier programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a resource somewhere out there that ranks ob/gyn programs so that one can get a better idea of which programs are competitive and which arent? i am trying to figure out which programs i should apply to and which i shouldnt even bother looking into. thanks.

Is there a resource somewhere out there that ranks ob/gyn programs so that one can get a better idea of which programs are competitive and which arent? i am trying to figure out which programs i should apply to and which i shouldnt even bother looking into. thanks.

http://www.apgo.org/residencies/

You can look at programs and what there avg applicant stats are.

How competitive is OB?GYN for an IMG?

Also, can anyone comment on lifestyle after residency? I have heard a wide range of things regarding lifestyle....