residency competitiveness and lifestyle?

Started by anomalii
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anomalii

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I know this has been asked multiple times over the years, but from what I read from old threads, this specialty seems to be ever fluctuating. To get to the point, my stats are:
-step 1 = 222
-GPA - first 2 years at exactly class median, this third year an A in anesthesia, A in a 2 credit elective, B's in everything else except family medicine which was an AB
-no extracurriculars unfortunately
-interesting family background and raised in inner city urban setting (planning to apply to a program from the city which I grew up for residency and staying in that city for my career)
-not going to take step 2 until end of my fourth year

1) What are my chances of matching and having some decision as to where I want to go in the midwest?
2) Is it reasonably manageable to have a 40 hour week once out in full practice?
3) Is there a way to tell how competitive a particular program is? I know this sounds simplistic but wanted to gauge where I may be.

Thanks so much!
 
If you are a US medical grad w a step 1 of 222, you have a good chance of matching with "some" decision within the midwest (likey will match within your top 8-10).
There are usually large HMO-style organizations where a 40 hr work week is possible. Realize this is usually one 24 hr call and two days of clinic =36hrs... Which would be considered part time. So you would be making career/financial sacrifices for lifestyle.
Best of luck
 
Applications were up this year (2x is what I heard on the trail). So my advice is apply early. I think with a 222, you can match well in the midwest. I don't think it's as competitive as either coast. I advise applying to a good number of places, and apply to top, middle and lower tier programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a resource somewhere out there that ranks ob/gyn programs so that one can get a better idea of which programs are competitive and which arent? i am trying to figure out which programs i should apply to and which i shouldnt even bother looking into. thanks.
 
Is there a resource somewhere out there that ranks ob/gyn programs so that one can get a better idea of which programs are competitive and which arent? i am trying to figure out which programs i should apply to and which i shouldnt even bother looking into. thanks.

http://www.apgo.org/residencies/

You can look at programs and what there avg applicant stats are.
 
How competitive is OB?GYN for an IMG?

Also, can anyone comment on lifestyle after residency? I have heard a wide range of things regarding lifestyle....