Residency competitiveness.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asm028400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted into Touro MI as a DO. I am really interested in pursuing psychiatry, but I was wondering, how hard is it for a DO to obtain a residency, especially in Boston. Also, I would really like to treat eating disorder patients and was wondering how hard that particular job would be for me to get after residency. Also, what are the average starting salaries for both a psychiatrist and a child psychiatrist. Any info would really be helpful.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

asm028400 said:
I have recently been accepted into Touro MI as a DO. I am really interested in pursuing psychiatry, but I was wondering, how hard is it for a DO to obtain a residency, especially in Boston. Also, I would really like to treat eating disorder patients and was wondering how hard that particular job would be for me to get after residency. Also, what are the average starting salaries for both a psychiatrist and a child psychiatrist. Any info would really be helpful.
Thanks!
DOs have no problem matching into psychiatry residencies.

You can specialize in eating disorders if you wish in private practice, or work in a clinic specializing in this, or on an eating disorder unit within an inpatient setting. Anything you want, as long as you have the expertise.

Starting salaries vary widely depending on the area of the country and your specialty.
From the October (Vol. 33, No. 10) issue of Clinical Psychiatry News:
"Median compensation for mental health practitioners:
Child Psychiatrists: $192,000
Psychiatrists: $177,000
Neuropsychologists (PhD only): $104,000
Psychologists (PhD only): $89,000
Social workers: $58,000

*Based on survey responses from 197 group practices representing 34,163 responders
Source: American Medical Group Association

I would add the qualification that it depends on the residency program. If you look historically at programs' resident lists, you can get a sense of which have a good track records for taking DO's and which do not (as there are some that have, historically, only taken MD's).

Hi! I'm a DO student from CCOM trying to find a good psychiatry residency. I've gotten interviews from a lot of programs, but we'll see what happens during the match. It does bother me sometimes that certain programs don't seem to have any DO's among their residents and I think I may have been denied interviews because of my school rather than board scores or whatnot. It's just a little frustrating. I know I'll find a spot, but there's that element of unfairness. Sorry I didn't apply in Boston so I don't know the DO friendly places. My advice would be to do electives at the places you want to apply at during your clinical years. that might work....??

asm028400 said:
Thanks!