Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Residency competitiveness.....

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by asm028400, Dec 4, 2005.

1. asm028400

asm028400 Member
    5+ Year Member

I have recently been accepted into Touro MI as a DO. I am really interested in pursuing psychiatry, but I was wondering, how hard is it for a DO to obtain a residency, especially in Boston. Also, I would really like to treat eating disorder patients and was wondering how hard that particular job would be for me to get after residency. Also, what are the average starting salaries for both a psychiatrist and a child psychiatrist. Any info would really be helpful.
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DOs have no problem matching into psychiatry residencies.

You can specialize in eating disorders if you wish in private practice, or work in a clinic specializing in this, or on an eating disorder unit within an inpatient setting. Anything you want, as long as you have the expertise.

Starting salaries vary widely depending on the area of the country and your specialty.
    From the October (Vol. 33, No. 10) issue of Clinical Psychiatry News:
    "Median compensation for mental health practitioners:
    Child Psychiatrists: $192,000
    Psychiatrists: $177,000
    Neuropsychologists (PhD only): $104,000
    Psychologists (PhD only): $89,000
    Social workers: $58,000

*Based on survey responses from 197 group practices representing 34,163 responders
    Source: American Medical Group Association

4. willow212

willow212 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would add the qualification that it depends on the residency program. If you look historically at programs' resident lists, you can get a sense of which have a good track records for taking DO's and which do not (as there are some that have, historically, only taken MD's).

5. tiger4evr

tiger4evr Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi! I'm a DO student from CCOM trying to find a good psychiatry residency. I've gotten interviews from a lot of programs, but we'll see what happens during the match. It does bother me sometimes that certain programs don't seem to have any DO's among their residents and I think I may have been denied interviews because of my school rather than board scores or whatnot. It's just a little frustrating. I know I'll find a spot, but there's that element of unfairness. Sorry I didn't apply in Boston so I don't know the DO friendly places. My advice would be to do electives at the places you want to apply at during your clinical years. that might work....??