Residency Contracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B_ADAMS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long after the match will it be before programs send out contracts?

I am sure this is program dependent, however I am in need of a new vehicle and everywhere that I have been for an auto loan needs proof of income other than student loans. But, one of the potential lenders said that a copy of a contract after match day would be good enough.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard within the week but not 100% sure.

ALSO, anyone know if you have to send the program anything else after matching so they can work on getting your state license to practice as a resident?

PTP said:
I have heard within the week but not 100% sure.

ALSO, anyone know if you have to send the program anything else after matching so they can work on getting your state license to practice as a resident?

YES. Be prepared - after you match, you will have paperwork up to your ears to do, and it will be have to be done ASAP. Many programs say that you have to get this paperwork in by April 15th - not that much time to get everything in order. There will be state license paperwork, insurance stuff, other hospital-specific credentialling paperwork, VA-specific paperwork, etc. They usually send it to you immediately after you match because this stuff is so time-sensitive.

What s/he said. Not all states have a training license for residents so that can cut down on some of the paperwork.

Shoot, I'm in the process of moving now...guess I should update my address in the ERAS and NRMP websites.

The day after the match, call the program coordinator and give him/her an address that will remain the same until and just after you start (maybe parents). They won't go back and look up your address on ERAS, they will just take whatever frathouse address you gave them when you applied initially.

Don't expect to get a formal contract right after the match. You will typically receive a 'letter of offer' which will say something simple like:
'You are hereby offered a position as x resident starting 7/1/05 ending 6/30/06. If you accept this offer please sign at the bottom and return one copy of this offer to the GME office'

At one place I didn't get my formal contract until the first week of residency.

In some states YOU have to apply for the training license, in others the hospital just reports your name to the medical board and receives a 'blanket permit' for all residents. Check on the websites of the medical boards for the states that you expect to match in. Some of these training licenses can be quite involved(more like a regular license), others just need a copy of your medical school diploma or enrollment status and a USMLE transscript.

If they send you anything, don't sit on it. Some of this stuff (e.g. credentialing for affiliated hospitals) can take a while, so you want to return it ASAP.

B_ADAMS said:
How long after the match will it be before programs send out contracts?

I am sure this is program dependent, however I am in need of a new vehicle and everywhere that I have been for an auto loan needs proof of income other than student loans. But, one of the potential lenders said that a copy of a contract after match day would be good enough.

Thanks

As noted above, some programs will simply send you a letter of intent, but the formal contracts may not be drawn up for a few weeks/months. However, I was in a similar situation and simply asked for a short letter stating I had been hired, at such and such salary and it was acceptable to the car lender. The program coordinator typed it up and it was signed by the PD.

I received my actual contract within a week of matching. (The DO match was on a Monday, and I got the contract on Saturday of that week.) I think with most programs it is around one week.