Residency/Fellowship Lengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMPGY2

Reaction score
Since I’ve been in training, I’ve often had questions about the various training paths that exist. While sources exist with this information, I have found many of them to be incomplete. I created a table listing lengths for residencies and fellowships available through ACGME. I initially started by only creating a table for my specialty, but eventually decided to cover all fields of medicine one can pursue. While this list is not comprehensive, I feel it is very close. As there are countless non accredited programs and various overlaps amongst subspecialty training available through multiple pathways, it is likely impossible to get it completely accurate. But, I hope medical students, residents and other aspiring physicians may find this useful as it took a lot of time to make.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• SDN Residency Fellowships.pdf
    427.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
IIRC a lot of adult neurology programs don't accept transitional PGY-1 years, as there's a minimum amount of IM required during the intern year.

Also, for child neuro, a lot of fellowships are just the adult fellowship with perhaps some peds training thrown in. Epilepsy is the only real exception to that rule that I'm aware of. Also, I think a fair number of those fellowships offer both 1-year and 2-year tracks, from when I researched things.

Child neurology is also not a fellowship after neurology; it'd be a fellowship after pediatrics. In order to do child neuro after adult neuro, you'd have to do at least 1 year of peds and 2 years child neuro, though I imagine it'd be a case by case scenario since it's an uncommon track. I know of a few people in our corresponding adult neuro program who considered trying to transition over and they all universally gave up because it wasn't straightforward and they'd have to repeat an intern year in peds.

We're such a small field that I can't imagine this info is super helpful, but here it is just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an awesome thing you did! One thing I'd like to add is that at many large academic medical centers, general surgery is actually 7 years. It's the same 5 clinical years, but they require 2 years of research between your 2nd and 3rd years. It's absurd imo (the vast majority of these trainees will never do research again and the research they do during the 2 years is often poor quality), but it's very common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users