Residency for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the Pharmacy schools going to be enforcing that all students due residency when they graduate the year 2015???? Are they going to require that we have to do a 1-2 year residency after we graduate??? Does anyone know if this is true???

Members don't see this ad.

Are the Pharmacy schools going to be enforcing that all students due residency when they graduate the year 2015???? Are they going to require that we have to do a 1-2 year residency after we graduate??? Does anyone know if this is true???
A lot of schools want to. But I don't think it will be required for a while.

One of the schools I interviewed at said in 2015 they are going to require it that all graduates of that year will need to be doing residency... so you havent heard anything about it then... how long have they wanted to do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a "goal" to have this in place by 2020, but in my opinion there is no way this will be possible. There are already way more applicants to residencies than there are open spots, not to mention what it would be like with thousands more having to apply to one if it were mandatory. There's simply no way this many new residency positions can be made in that short of an amount of time (again, in my opinion).

Pharmacy schools don't really have much of a say to enforce residency upon their graduates. It's up to the residency programs and for future work places whether they require a residency or not. You can't force an expectation of residency upon students if there are not enough residency spots in the whole nation.

One of the schools I interviewed at said in 2015 they are going to require it that all graduates of that year will need to be doing residency... so you havent heard anything about it then... how long have they wanted to do it?

either the school is stupid for saying that (if it did), or you're stupid for misinterpreting.

and such a requirement is unenforceable on the school's end anyway, 100% unenforceable and out of the scope of any university's requirements for a degree.

It's a "goal" to have this in place by 2020, but in my opinion there is no way this will be possible. There are already way more applicants to residencies than there are open spots, not to mention what it would be like with thousands more having to apply to one if it were mandatory. There's simply no way this many new residency positions can be made in that short of an amount of time (again, in my opinion).
Exactly. The thread going on in the residency forum is pretty informative. It just shows how drastic the residency slot shortage really is. And with all the new schools and attention in this career, it's only going to get worse.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710698

Not enough ASHP practice sites to allow that.

Exactly. The thread going on in the residency forum is pretty informative. It just shows how drastic the residency slot shortage really is. And with all the new schools and attention in this career, it's only going to get worse.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710698

Ah yes, I've been following that thread. It seems that with each incoming class a higher and higher percentage plan on doing a residency. At this point I'm actually thinking I'm not going to do one (I'm actually in the minority where I'm at, I go to a school that's rah rah residency). By the time I graduate I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio of applicants to open positions is in the vicinity of more than 5:1.

Funny to think that just a couple years ago there were more open spots than applicants, and a residency was something pretty much anyone (with an average resume or better) could do. Things are going to get real cutthroat real soon.

I agree. I don't think there will be enough residency spots for everyone who graduates.